Long Tentacle Anemonie died.

gradth

For no apparent reason this thing just up and died on me. Only had it about a week or so. It appeared to be doing great, was opening up every day in the light. Worked all day yesterday so never got a look at the tank with the lights on. Came home today and noticed it all shrunk up and starting to decompose(flame). Needless to say I got it and as much of the bits and pieces as I could out and flushed him.

Checked my nitrates and they were next to nothing. Ph was about 8.2

My guess is it my be a temp thing. Been fighting with that trying to get it cooled down. Been maintaining 80 during the day.

Also just ordered a refractometer, since im really curious as to how far off my hydrometer was.

Not sure, mostly frustrated(nutty) cause it was a really cool nem.

Ouch... sorry to hear that Josh, that was a nice nem. Does seem kind of drastic, when I have had them go, it has usually been a slow retraction/decline, nothing so precipitous. Might want to through some fresh carbon in there if you got some to help with the toxic soup it probably left behind on it's way out... amazing what a mess they can make. Hope you figure it out.

How stable are your parameters. I have seen anemones die when the water temperature got all out of wack.

dsoz

Well thats just it, everything is good, but im having issues getting the heat down. Its maintaining about 80 throughout the day. Im working on the fans for the tank, just need to get the right ones.

I just dont really get how it can be fine one day, and the next be dead and wasting away.

if it was only in the tank a week it could be a number of reasons, number one prob would be micro cuts from being collected, it can be a huge deal if brown jelly sets in or any kind of bacteria. Running ozone is best when keeping these inverts! you put the ozone on a timer for an hour or two a day when your not home and thats all you need, it helps fight off all the harmfull bacteria.