cutting up a Fungia

dsoz

It was feeding night at the zoo. Eight pieces still don't have mouths (but have flesh healed over the cut areas already). The one piece from the center that did have a mouth got a 1/2 inch section of silverside (a normal portion for my larger Fungia), and it took it all into the mouth. The smaller, new, Fungia got a 3/8" piece, and lost most of it to the tang before I could get the eggcrate cover over it. :( Maybe next time.

The green with purple tentacle Fungia is starting to look like a victim... I mean patient for the fragging table... (evil scientist laughter in background) Mu ah ha ha ha ha... Must... wait... for... other... one... to... heal...! I... can... resist....

Jen- I would be happy to trade one to you once I am done documenting their recovery. It may be quicker for you to just go get one from a store. Or call up Stylaster, he has a fungia factory. Much more fun than I am having by cutting them up. He may have some more ready by the June 6th meeting. If you come up to portland to see the guest speaker, you could go home with a small fungia :).

dsoz

I think it was Monday I saw them. Like Dennis said they had tenicals flapping in the current. Pretty cool to see. If you go buy some frog spawn or hammer coral you get to see the cut up fungia for free.

Dennis I have those magizines for you at the store, you can pick them up anytime. Remember to bring your camera though.

I thought I read once about rubbing a screwdriver or something over a fungia' date=' then as it healed it shot out 10s of baby fungias, rather than frags. Have you tried that method?[/quote']

I would like to read about that. If you have a reference, please share. Otherwise I am going to start my search now...

dsoz

• 2 months later...

all nine are still living. I was just inspecting them this morning. Only the center one still has a mouth (and it eats like a pig!!!). The others are just photosynthesizing away until they work up the energy to start a digestive area. Otherwise, they look the same as they did after they healed up from the cutting. I don't want to post pics until there are some significant changes.

If/when I do this again, I will make fewer, larger pieces. Maybe cut like this

circle.jpg

It would eliminate the small corner pieces that seem to take longer to heal up, and don't produce as many tentacles as the other pieces.

dsoz

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!! At least 5 of the 8 smaller pieces have started to develop a mouth. I tried feeding frozen mysis today and at least one of the smaller pieces actually ingested some food. I got some pics while I was at it.

IMG_7736-1.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg

It has been a long time, and there is still a long time left before they look like they should. I can see why they say that this can take up to a year for them to look like a normal fungia after being cut.

dsoz

awesome glad to see the experiment worked out so well. Soon my fungia will take over the world.... bwahahahaha!!!

It is well on the way. There are 10 of them in my tank alone. :)

Did you see the picture of your fungia and its new neighbor?

I saw that in your new clam thread. It looks good. Yours has a much deeper orange color than mine has. What kind of lights do you have it under?

dsoz

Be prepared for it to take 9-12 months for it to return to a circle shape. It has almost been 3 months since I first cut this bad-boy, and the pieces are just starting to form mouths.

If you do cut it, make the pieces a little larger. The bigger pieces have gotten their mouth faster then the small pieces (I think). I was not able to see a mouth on the smaller 3 pieces.

dsoz