new to the boards

whats going on all,

gonna start this off by telling you i have been keeping aquaria of some type since i was a kid. first saltwater i remember was in middle school, first reef was high school. worked a couple pet/aquarium shops during high school. car audio for many years, and still privately. my wonderful girlfriend found trav's tank at upscales amazing when i stopped to say hi and b.s.......now "we" have since setup my last 120.

her name is alex, mines will....

for years i was a regular face around here, back in the day i used to shop at upscales, soutas, and gateway bobs, (wonderful gentleman he was). also waves when shawn owned it, shortly afterward during a new home purchase. i, for very disappointing reasons, took a break from the hobby. i feel as if technology has advanced so well that i will do the same..... just call me new school, (laugh)

i want to let you know i didnt really have a build thread, but ima load some tank, sump, flow, aqua scape and livestock pics this week in the members tanks area. we also wanted to say thank you to travis and tom at upscales for the friendship over the years, also thank you to isaac at seahorse for breaking me off some knowledge and giving me some support as well. plus nick at rose city for some smooth deals. i find myself enjoying the very clean japanese design and modern style of the european aquariums so much that i followed similar principals. now if i could only throw in some "weed and feed" to get this thing growing..... more to come soon.

thanks,

will and alex.

Hi Will and Alex,

Welcome to the PNWMAS Forum. I grew up with aquariums too! There is a lot going on in the club right now, If you would like to be notified of upcoming PNWMAS Meetings and Events, PM me your e-mail address, and you will be added to the PNWMAS Evite list.

I first met Bob at Gateway over 30 years ago, and have to agree with you. He was one great guy.There have been lots of good changes in the marine aquarium hobby over the years. Looking forward to meeting you at our meetings.

John Manrow

welcome back! i remember when shawn owned waves back behind fred meyers at the twillger curves, use to hang out there a lot and go have lunch next door. also gateway bob was a great guy! Enjoy the boards lots of great info to be found!

yeah, i first met shawn right before he started building that store, i worked for car toys at the time and did trade out with him on a stereo sys for his truck, we got to be what i felt was pretty good friends, went to his wedding, we used to grab lunch next store too... cold water steve, and james (envision) used come hang, do biz, and many, many others. i loved it, first time i ever saw super glue used for frags, to be honest it was the first time i ever seen fragging in his shop..

met rick and tom at soutas when i was 17. same with gateway bob. travis and his pop at upscales when i moved back from cali in 94 "got to be decent friends too". over at bobs we would fill that garage and wait like coyotes while he unpacked his boxes. he finally started letting us pick outta the box (naughty), let me tell you it was different then, zoos had NO name, were 20.00 on a rock for as many as you would care to count, all lps 25-35.00 bones and acros were just becoming keepable.....starting around 17-25.00 a med size head, competition was fierce then. i remember battling with dwight guss over what acros we took turns picking.(clap) travis was absolutely light years ahead of people in the industry. rick had his garage and was "starting" to collect acros. my first calc reactor was a "custom" that was terrible......

anyhow, im very glad to be collecting again but wow have prices changed.... i remember seeing very few chalices and acan,s come thru, mostly bleached and no one wanted em at all!!! thats a small walk down memory lane(rock2)

thanks members,

wil.

yes i was but i had to leave, i was called back into work for an employee disaster, my girlfriend at the time tori, stayed and hung out. the next eve dwight met me at waves and talked about the meet. i used to drive the lil red civic and crx. that house of dwights still sticks in my mind. wow, his aquarium was off he hook too! you ever hear or talk with him? we were sup to go visit and stay with him up north but after i shut down my tank and was in vegas for a few years i lost touch with him. he was there with trav and i when the whole oregon torte came about....if you know how to get in touch with him it would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

yes i was but i had to leave' date=' i was called back into work for an employee disaster, my girlfriend at the time tori, stayed and hung out. the next eve dwight met me at waves and talked about the meet. i used to drive the lil red civic and crx. that house of dwights still sticks in my mind. wow, his aquarium was off he hook too! you ever hear or talk with him? we were sup to go visit and stay with him up north but after i shut down my tank and was in vegas for a few years i lost touch with him. he was there with trav and i when the whole oregon torte came about....if you know how to get in touch with him it would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

Sent you a PM.