What the heck! my Midas Blenny died!

jason7504

I'd say get the Bi-color/Flame Tail Blenny with the other 3 and stop there. Four fish of that size is good enough for a 34g.

You'd have at least one algae eater in there as well with the blenny, so that's a bonus.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

-Soutas Saltwater & Reef Inc.-

Neither the Bicolor or the yellow flametail blenny are reef safe.

I gave a yellow flametail a chance in my reef an now I need to catch him. I loves LPS especially Brain corals (Trachaphyllia)

Actually, they are very reef safe. But, a occasional specimen may nip at some sps, or bite a lps from time to time. Sounds like you were very unlucky.

I havent had a lot of luck with these either. I think I have had 4 now.

Sounds like people aren't having any luck with the Midas lately.:( We rarely bring them in so I wouldn't know how they're fairing for us.

ok then how about a lawnmower blenny?

A Lawnmower Blenny is actually a even better choice, from studying this fish I can tell you that it eats way more algae than most of the other fish you could get out there.

We use them in our systems! Just recently we received one that was about 6 inches long(XXL), and he's been eating like crazy even Brine Shrimp, Mysis Shrimp, and Mini-Mysis Shrimp.

It's better to get them when they're smaller, if you don't they are less likely to eat the food mentioned above. About 1-3.5 inches is just fine and have always eaten for us.

I'd like to go ahead and reccomend a book that I've read nearly 5 times over and is a great source of knowledge for reef fish. It's called "Marine Fishes - by Scott W. Michael". I can't say that everying is perfectly accurate when it comes to feeding reccomendations, but it gives a ton of good information about fish you may wish to purchase.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

Actually, they are very reef safe. But, a occasional specimen may nip at some sps, or bite a lps from time to time. Sounds like you were very unlucky.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

My interpretation of VERY reef safe would be void of the words "occasional" and "may"

I have had 3 bicolor/flametails and all 3 nipped, and kept LPS from opening up.

http://www.google.com/search?q=reef+safe+bicolor+blenny&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

My interpretation of VERY reef safe would be void of the words "occasional" and "may"

I have had 3 bicolor/flametails and all 3 nipped, and kept LPS from opening up.

http://www.google.com/search?q=reef+safe+bicolor+blenny&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

On the other hand, we have always had succes with them. So I would say that the ones you have been buying might have been takin out of a particular area where they are more prone to doing so.

I don't accept random internet sites as credible information sources. If you want real information you go with someone who has actual experience in the field.

It is nice to have personal experiences posted, but not everyone has the same results; and it would be sad to have the name of one species tarnished by a few people. :(

Ricky Soutas Jr.

I don't accept random internet sites as credible information sources. If you want real information you go with someone who has actual experience in the field.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

DOH!

I posted MY personal experience with them.

I think I've been around long enough to be a credible source.

My intent of posting the google search on bicolors was to show that PLENTY of hobbyists have tried them with no luck. There is a pattern out there.

:confused: Please, go back and read my posts in full.

You'll see that I already mentioned that is possible for them to do what you experienced, but that not everyone has the same result. We have never had any problems with them ourselves. You stated your opinion a long time ago, and I did as well.

I never said you weren't a credible source. But, I would say that someone who has a degree in this field, and has actually studied this particular fish more than just 3 times has a better idea of what they will and will not do. An example of such would be a person that has produced quite a few books on the marine hobby itself.

I don't understand why you keep on insisting that every single one of them is going to attack your corals. There is no pattern if the data is scattered. In total it's a hit or miss fish, from my experiences and your experiences combined.

This is a forum for constructive criticism not arguments. I will not partake in any more of this tomfoolery. I have better things to do than argue, such as helping with questions that they may have. Feel free to keep posting if you want.

Ricky Soutas Jr.