What the heck! my Midas Blenny died!

jason7504

i have had it for like 4 days and i fed it some mysis shrimp about 2 days ago and it was alive this morning but when i just checked it was in the back between the rocks and false wall dead! what do you think could have caused this?

pH-8.2

Ammonia,nitrite and nitrate-0

Salinity-1.026

temp-81-82

PO4-0.1

alk-3 meq/L

The lack of food could have done it, especially for a new fish. They need to be fed everyday. Could have also been a internal problem with the fish, but I doubt it.

The temperature staying at 80-82 can be very stressful to the fish. Keep it at 76-78.

If you had anything in your tank that might be rotting or did rot, and you don't have bioballs the ammonia level might be quite high as well right now.

There are so many different variables that I can't say which one is the exact cause. Probably a little of all.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

-Soutas Saltwater & Reef Inc.-

I've been seeing a lot of this lately. I'm thinking the damage was done during collection or transit.

I'd have to some what agree with that statement as well.

I've been hearing many things about that from our newer customers. They're just plain tired of getting sick fish, and I don't blame them! If you come to our store you don't have to worry about that.

We make sure it doesn't happen, and we only buy quality, healthy, eating fish.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

The lack of food could have done it, especially for a new fish. They need to be fed everyday. Could have also been a internal problem with the fish, but I doubt it.

The temperature staying at 80-82 can be very stressful to the fish. Keep it at 76-78.

If you had anything in your tank that might be rotting or did rot, and you don't have bioballs the ammonia level might be quite high as well right now.

There are so many different variables that I can't say which one is the exact cause. Probably a little of all.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

i thought that you weren't supposed to feed fish everyday..thats why i was feeding them every other day..really? ive seen a few people with there temp at around 80..i was thinking of getting a different fish instead.

i have 2 false perc's and a rainsford goby( that i can't find and think is still alive) but i was thinking of getting a neon goby and a flame or coral beauty angel(since they stay pretty small)..i would't add them at once of course but spread out..would that work? or would that be too many fish for my 34g?

The weird thing is that I'm seeing this with apparently healthy fish. I've got a long history with fish (freshwater & salt) and think I'm pretty good at spotting healthy fish (or so I thought...) -- these fish look good, are eating, and still die soon after purchase... and like you say, Ricky, it's not just me. I'm concerned that something is changing with the way the fish are being collected and/or shipped.

When Bob Fenner spoke to the club last year, he mentioned that collection is happening farther and farther away from regional airports and as a result collected fish are spending more and more time in dodgy conditions. Maybe we're starting to see the effects of this?

You need to feed your fish everyday. Even if it is a light feeding

You need to keep your temperature between 76-80 (Ideally 78), never above or below.

We get coral beauties and flame angels in all the time, but please don't buy any fish until your other ones are just fine!

I suggest doing a water change as well.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

You need to feed your fish everyday. Even if it is a light feeding

You need to keep your temperature between 76-80 (Ideally 78), never above or below.

We get coral beauties and flame angels in all the time, but please don't buy any fish until your other ones are just fine!

I suggest doing a water change as well.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

yeah i know..my clowns are good but i cant even find or see the rainsford goby..its so small and hides, i dont know about that one..i do a weekly water change

The weird thing is that I'm seeing this with apparently healthy fish. I've got a long history with fish (freshwater & salt) and think I'm pretty good at spotting healthy fish (or so I thought...) -- these fish look good, are eating, and still die soon after purchase... and like you say, Ricky, it's not just me. I'm concerned that something is changing with the way the fish are being collected and/or shipped.

When Bob Fenner spoke to the club last year, he mentioned that collection is happening farther and farther away from regional airports and as a result collected fish are spending more and more time in dodgy conditions. Maybe we're starting to see the effects of this?

Anything is possible. Bob Fenner is a smart man, and has good literature.

The thing is, we haven't seen a change in our fish. The people we buy from have their own location in collection areas where they net catch fish.

I'm just hoping that cyanide catching is not on the rise. With economic trouble some stores might be looking for "cheaper fish", I personally can't speak for them though.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

Excellent -- what species are you seeing tank-raised now? Is it still just clowns' date=' or other guys too?[/quote']

You're right. It's mainly clownfish (Occelaris), but we do get in tank raised Bangaii Cardinals and tank raised Kelloggi Seahorses (My favorite! Black and Yellow) quite often.

One of the best qualities about them is that all usually eat brine/mysis on the first day that they arrive. Tank raised fish are amazing! :)

Ricky Soutas Jr.

There are psuedochromis and gobies that are being tank raised now also

It would definitely be nice to have those guys more widely available though. :(

I've only seen them from time to time other than hearing about facilities or people that raise them and them only.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

Sorry to hear about your Blenny Jason. I have had a few instances of otherwise healthy looking fish just turning up dead and have been suspicious of some sort of capture/transport issues as well. I typically trust most of the sources but I wonder if there isn't some misrepresentation (by suppliers) going on as Andy suggests. Probably the safest thing these days is to stick with stores you trust the most and only get specimens that have been around a while - of course, that decreases your choices somewhat.

I will say that Soutas has been getting in some really healthy Leopard wrasses lately so clearly someone is still doing a good job collecting.

BTW Jason - I see you got a rainsford. Were you able to find one that was eating fozen? I hope it works out for you. They can be a little shy at first.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your Blenny Jason. I have had a few instances of otherwise healthy looking fish just turning up dead and have been suspicious of some sort of capture/transport issues as well. I typically trust most of the sources but I wonder if there isn't some misrepresentation (by suppliers) going on as Andy suggests. Probably the safest thing these days is to stick with stores you trust the most and only get specimens that have been around a while - of course, that decreases your choices somewhat.

I will say that Soutas has been getting in some really healthy Leopard wrasses lately so clearly someone is still doing a good job collecting.

BTW Jason - I see you got a rainsford. Were you able to find one that was eating fozen? I hope it works out for you. They can be a little shy at first.

Good luck.

im not sure that it was eating frozen when i bought it..but i haven't been able to find it..is it nocturnal? what else would rainsford eat? ive heard algae and micro fauna

Definitely not a nocturnal fish!

But they do like going in and out of rock work. :)

Ricky Soutas Jr.

Ricky, have you ever tried feeding the rainsfords (or hectors) cyclopeeze or anything like that? Just wondering what Jason might try to help encourage him to eat frozen just in case there isn't enough natural food in the tank.

Sean

Ricky, have you ever tried feeding the rainsfords (or hectors) cyclopeeze or anything like that? Just wondering what Jason might try to help encourage him to eat frozen just in case there isn't enough natural food in the tank.

Sean

We usually feed them Mini-Mysis Shrimp (Same for Hector Eye's), if they don't seem to be eating it well at first we encorporate some Frozen Saltwater Cyclops for him to pick at and filter out of the sand. Usually they do good with just Mini-Mysis Shrimp though.

Ricky Soutas Jr.