Help, with anemone!!!

reefgeek84

I just picked up a big Ritteri Anemone, however I am just reading on wetwebmedia and they say you need a whole bunch of water flow and like 2 400w halides just to keep this thing...also they say anemones should not be housed with coral, how true does this hold. I just do not want this thing to die... Some help me out here!!!!!

unfortunately, heteractis magnifica anemones tend to be one of the top two in the worst to recover from shipping category of anemones. however, i assume you picked up the anemone from joels, and it looked pretty good in the picture.

yes, they do need an excessive amount of light. most of the time, people will house them with 400w halides, and they will still be right at the surface trying to get as close as possible. the more light you can throw at these anemones, the happier they will be.

flow is also a very important part of keeping this anemone. again, they can handle excessive amounts of it. youre goal is to get random flow, and not so much linear flow. youd dont necessarily want the anemone to be whipping around, but you want it to be in constant motion.

these anemones pack a powerful punch, corals do not do well if they are in range of the tenticles. they can even sting you, maybe not so much your hands, but thinnned skin up your forearms will be able to feel it.

they also like alot of food. silversides, crab, krill, squid. mix it up. they will eat it. and expect it to grow the more you feed it. they reach sizes of two feet in the wild.

in keeping this species, unless you want it plastered to the side of your tank, youll want to create a "bommy". a tower of rock, topped by a large flat surface. the anemone will want to be directly under the brightest light you have, with the most amount of flow, closest to the surface.

do these things, and you wont have an anemone that wanders. it will stay put and be a spectacular center piece to your aquarium. these are difficult to keep anemones, but just a few important factors considered, and youll have no problem with it.

good luck and take some pictures!

unfortunately, heteractis magnifica anemones tend to be one of the top two in the worst to recover from shipping category of anemones. however, i assume you picked up the anemone from joels, and it looked pretty good in the picture.

yes, they do need an excessive amount of light. most of the time, people will house them with 400w halides, and they will still be right at the surface trying to get as close as possible. the more light you can throw at these anemones, the happier they will be.

flow is also a very important part of keeping this anemone. again, they can handle excessive amounts of it. youre goal is to get random flow, and not so much linear flow. youd dont necessarily want the anemone to be whipping around, but you want it to be in constant motion.

these anemones pack a powerful punch, corals do not do well if they are in range of the tenticles. they can even sting you, maybe not so much your hands, but thinnned skin up your forearms will be able to feel it.

they also like alot of food. silversides, crab, krill, squid. mix it up. they will eat it. and expect it to grow the more you feed it. they reach sizes of two feet in the wild.

in keeping this species, unless you want it plastered to the side of your tank, youll want to create a "bommy". a tower of rock, topped by a large flat surface. the anemone will want to be directly under the brightest light you have, with the most amount of flow, closest to the surface.

do these things, and you wont have an anemone that wanders. it will stay put and be a spectacular center piece to your aquarium. these are difficult to keep anemones, but just a few important factors considered, and youll have no problem with it.

good luck and take some pictures!

It did look really good at Joel's that was why I decided to go with it.

Well the problem is that all my coral is at the top of the tank and it can not go anywhere else! I guess I made a huge mistake in buying this..I have no idea what to do now with it... I do not want it to wander all over the tank...I only have 250 halide and about 1000gph on an ocean motions but its pionted at the coral...so Maybe I should leave it in the bag and return it to Joel, if he will even let me, or I guess I may be out a good chunk of money.

your system may not be all together inadequet. its unfortunate all your corals are in the center, but maybe you can get by by placing the anemone on the side of the tank, somewhere it will get alot of flow....but again, if its not happy there expect it to move. and if that means through your corals, it will. i doubt it will stay in one place long enough to kill any of them, if it does decide to move, but keep in mind it takes a tremendous amount of energy for an anemone of its size to move....so it will be exausting for it.

best thing to do, would be to place it in the substrate closest to the side of the glass...maybe turn your flow down so it gives it some time to attach. hopefully it will just creep up the glass and you should be ok...

wow, im telling you....that anemone would look killer right there in the middle....youve got a perfect tank and set up to make this your center piece to the aquarium.

if it were me, id put the anemone in the top center...and the frags off to the sides...

otherwise, try the panel you were thinking, and just see where it goes.

wow, im telling you....that anemone would look killer right there in the middle....youve got a perfect tank and set up to make this your center piece to the aquarium.

if it were me, id put the anemone in the top center...and the frags off to the sides...

otherwise, try the panel you were thinking, and just see where it goes.

Hey will you meet me in chat?

Ok, so HUGE ups to Joel at Waves and Ron Popeil on here!!!!! (kneel)

Story behind this thread... I went into Joel's with the intention to pick up a pair of true percs and a couple of other fish wanting an anemone but not wanting to spend more then fifty bucks...But I went in there and saw the ritteri and could not pass up the deal! So i bought, well I did not get home until late tonight and started to aclimate it and started to reseach what it required to be in one of our glass cages, come to find out it is the second hardest anemones to keep! My tank would have been ok, but it would have wanted to be at the top where all my coral is (as you can tell from the pics, which are bad cause I took them in a hurry, but you can get the idea), so after chatting with Ron for about 30 mins he help me decide that I would be better off with taking this one back and getting another, so I messaged Joel and apparently his shop is open 24 hours LOL (totally kidding), but he got a shipment in late tonight and was there, he told me to call him and then told me to bring it in. So I did and now I have a new anemeone and Joel has one of the coolest anemones ever in his big display tank!!!! I can not wait to see it out and under the lights! I really liked it, but it would have been to overwhelming and not what I was wanting. So thanks to Joel for the late night exchange (sounds bad, LOL) and Ron for all his help!

...so I messaged Joel and apparently his shop is open 24 hours LOL (totally kidding)' date=' but he got a shipment in late tonight and was there, he told me to call him and then told me to bring it in. So I did...[/quote']

Kudos to Joel for helping you out... and so late at night! Holy crap! Now that's what I call customer service! (clap)

So what kind of anemone did you get? Pictures!