I am a newbie!

matty

First off I just bought a 12g nano cube and have 10lbs of lr and sand, one damsel, three red leg hermits, and three small snails. This is my first attempt at saltwater and I also just moved to the area like 2 months ago! So needless to say any and all info would be welcomed! Just one question I have right now.... Do I need to upgrade anything in my stock nano to keep soft corals and maybe one more fish? Thank you ahead of time for any responses.(fishhit)

Lucky for you we love to give advice! (laugh)

Let us know what your lighting is, just like Brandon asked. That will give us some idea what you can do in the future for your tank. If it's only been running for two months, I would personally not add any more to it and let it age a bit. You really don't want to put a whole lot of fish in a tank of that size. If it were me, I would keep it primarily inverts. Maybe a clown... or just keep the damsel. I've never had one, so I'm not entirely sure how happy they would be in a small tank. I'm sure someone else has a tank your size and might be better able to advise you on bioload.

Personally, I started a nano to showcase the diminuitive inverts that you really can't have in a big tank like pom pom crabs and sexy shrimp. Well, that and my zoanthids! But that's me, not you!

If you have any test kits, it would be nice to know what your water parameters are. The temp, ph... stuff like that. How often are you doing water changes? With a small tank like that you need to keep up on it, especially if you increase your bioload.

Are you having any issues? Algae? What kind of water circulation do you have going on in there? Which brand of nano did you buy?

I'm sure others are going to bark orders at you! (laugh)

Make sure you keep posting. Don't be afraid to ask questions... the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. There are a lot of people on these boards that love to help each other out. Heck, if I lived close to you I'd be more than willing to pound on your door and check things out for you! ;)

Welcome! Glad you found us!

Stacy

the stock nanocubes usually have 2x27w PCs, but its possible to get other setups.... you should be ok to keep most softies in that tank, but you will want to watch your bio-load fairly carefully, or get a skimmer(this from the guy who crams as much as he possibly can into an 11g tank) and remember.... you can never go wrong with Zoanthids!!

I like zooanthids but a Pistol and Goby combo would really rock. I agree with getting rid of the damsel. You could also throw in a cleaner shrimp (not literally). Have a great time. Welcome to the hobby. Don't be afraid to ask questions. WE were all beginners once.

Welcome Matty!

Sounds like you are on the right track. Other hobbiests and books have been the two best resources I've found over the years, so use 'em alot:D I wish I had done a lot more research when I started. It would have saved me ALOT of money and just as much grief.

Only thing I can add to the previous posts is if you are going to get a skimmer stay away from the fission nano skimmer. I've never even heard about one working, let alone seen one work. I think aqua c has a nano version now. I currently don't run a skimmer on my 18, just a small W/C every week seems to keep things in check.

Hope this helps,

Bobby

You guys are awesome and so friendly! I will definately keep up the questions! I got all of this stuff and some advice from upscale, Are they a good store? They told me to use the damsel to start the tank he is ok but now I gotta try and catch him without moving everything around? I dont want him because I hear they get mean and I want peace!

Upscales is a great store, but using a damsel is some very bad advise and I'm disappointed to here that they told you that. It can be harmfull to the fish and they (damsel's) are aggesive and hard to catch. Cycling your tank with a live fish is never a good idea. The best way is just to throw in a raw shrimp or 2.

Oh and by the way. Welcome!

Rich

You guys are awesome and so friendly! I will definately keep up the questions! I got all of this stuff and some advice from upscale' date=' Are they a good store? They told me to use the damsel to start the tank he is ok but now I gotta try and catch him without moving everything around? I dont want him because I hear they get mean and I want peace![/quote']

Travis is nice there at upscales...I am surprised they told you to start your tank with a damsel...That does not seem like their advice... Everyone has their perfernce on who they like to go to for stuff...Mine is Waves...but any of the sponsors on this board are great to go to...they usualy have something different then the other so its a great diversity.

I've read about the fission skimmers. Seems like they are a good idea, but lack functionality. Releases lots of MB, and the 2 elbows really cut down the amout of flow into the skimmer from the pump. Mounting the pump differently seems to help some. But of course those with nanocubes that isn't an option.

Do a search on Nano-reef.com... they're not had great reviews, but if you can get them in a place where your water level doesn't change... then they supposedly work alright. I know Travis was running one in his 11g tank on the counter for awhile.... you might want to PM UPscales and ask what he thought of it.