Skimmer suggetions

Rbusta

I have a 180 gallon display, 220 gallon total water volume tank that right now is very lightly stocked (like 5 fish) and 2 anemones.  I do have asperations to one day go back to SPS once the kids are older. I'm also running a 12"x12" algae scrubber. 

I am running a Reef Octopus Super XP-3000-INTcone skimmer that looks like this one (https://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-sro-xp-3000int-super-reef-protein-skimmer) that I've had running for 9 years and never head any issues. I bought it used so who knows how old it actually is. The pump is a Bubble Blaster HY-3000S and the pump just all together quit working. I just noticed one day that the Skimmer wasn't running and when I took it off the skimmer i noticed when i plug it in it doesn't hum or vibrate AT ALL and appears to be totally dead. 

Yesterday I exchanged emails with Coralvue and they at first said I should replace the impeller (~$100) but then she said they don't have one available so I should replace the pump ($289).

First option - I'm wondering, is it possible that it is just the impeller so I should track one down if I can - for $100 I would totally just keep my skimmer.

Second option - somehow retrofit a Jecod DC pump for cheaper than buying a new Bubble Blaster, but I'm really not sure about sizing/retrofiting and am wondering if anyone has suggestions.

Third option - replace the pump with the Bubble Blaster or buy a new/used skimmer altogether? Has the technology improved over the years? Noise isn't too much of an issue because I have my sump plumbed through the wall into the garage.

THANKS for anyone willing to help!

Ricky

Bubble blasters are great pumps, well made, and very quiet. You got a good one as it lasted nearly a decade! Given its age, The safest route would be complete replacement (not just the impeller). Always good to have the pump the skimmer is designed for but I hear ya on $280 being on the spendy side.

I always preferred DC pumps and have run them on all my skimmers pretty much since they came out. The part I like the most about them is they add an extra level of control you won’t have with the BB pump. BRS did a video on tuning skimmers that gets more into detail on how it can be advantageous to turn the pump speed down to reduce turbulence in the body while adjusting the skimmers outlet for the specific type of skim you are trying to achieve.

typically DC skimmers, especially the newer generation of them (sign wave versions) are basically silent. 

A comparable DC pump by Jebao to your BB is something like a DCP5000 or 6500, which are in the $80-100 range. I used to sell pinwheel kits for these and may have one around still you could use if interested. I ran a similar pump on my last skimmer for several years with no issues.

• Like 1

I run a bubble blaster 5000. Mine ran for 7 or so years and just stopped. Coralvue told me its the digital circuit board that probably went out and that it would be cheaper to buy a new one rather than trying to send it in for repair. My new BB 5000 has been running for 3 years now. Im thinking of buying another pump as a spare. Coralvue says a VarioS-S6 can be used with a SRO XP5000-int. VarioS-S4 can be used for SRO XP3000-int. Varios is more expensive than a Bubble blaster but is controllable.  

In my opinion, a new varios pump on a XP skimmer would be just as good as a new skimmer but cheaper than buying new. 

Thank you both, that's super helpful information. The VarioS-S4 looks like its the same price as the Bubble Blaster - does something have to be done to the VarioS to convert to needle wheel and Venturi for the skimmer?

Blue Z - I'll keep that in mind. I obviously love the reliability I've gotten from the Bubble Blaster so I'm interested in learning a little more about what that would like like as well.

42 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Did you 3D print them?  Cool option to have available for a DC conversion/pump replacement.

Yes but I lost access to my 3D printing 😞 Still have my box of stuff so I have a few left.

23 minutes ago, Rbusta said:

Thank you both, that's super helpful information. The VarioS-S4 looks like its the same price as the Bubble Blaster - does something have to be done to the VarioS to convert to needle wheel and Venturi for the skimmer?

Blue Z - I'll keep that in mind. I obviously love the reliability I've gotten from the Bubble Blaster so I'm interested in learning a little more about what that would like like as well.

For the Varios, you’d need this one to be setup as a skimmer pump with the Venturi 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/varios-4s-controllable-dc-skimmer-pump-reef-octopus.html?utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping>Octopus>Brand+(MAP)&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=7373341438&hsa_cam=846911466&hsa_grp=43012748117&hsa_ad=198729889128&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=pla-320147641346&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmpb0BRCBARIsAG7y4zbaIaFL5m_okb51cK3qmCnL0DbrBtqfIKirNRFwBfKVmnn4yGJHNGUaAnBuEALw_wcB

Not sure how your pump and skimmer is configured. Mine is the older style and uses a slip output adapter to attach to the skimmer. My new pump came with a threaded adapter, so twisted off the old slip adapter on the old Bubble blaster and attached it to the new pump.

https://www.coralvue.com/bubble-blaster-pump-output-adapter

https://www.coralvue.com/varios-4s-controllable-skimmer-pump

Well, I got my VarioS-S4 in the mail today. After spraying the box with Chlorine and wiping it down of course, I got the pump out and hooked up. Amazing! I did have to use the slip that was on my old Bubble Blaster because the disconnect fitting for the SRO-3000-INT is apparently a little larger than the XP-3000-INT that I have. When I turned on the pump I thought I had a dud for a second because the thing is SILENT! Amazing. 

Now I'm thinking....that Barracuda pump I have is rock solid but something quieter....always something. Anyway - thanks for the help everyone! 

01IMG_2511.jpg

• Like 2

Wow that pump lasted you a looooong time! A replacement sounds spendy but if they last that long they sound worth it, and a replacement skimmer would likely cost more anyway. I'm glad it worked out for you!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk