Apex users: Public Service Announcement

SuncrestReef

Public service announcement for all Apex users:

If you use an Apex but do not currently have a backup file of your configuration, please create a backup!!!  If anything goes wrong with your Apex, you will be glad you have a backup file to restore from.

Follow these steps to create a backup:

1. From a desktop or laptop computer, browse to http://apex.local
  2. Log in with the local Admin account.  This username and password is different from your Fusion account.  If you never set it, the default is:
    Username:  Admin 
    Password:  1234
  3. Click the Apex menu, then click Misc
    Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 2.09.01 PM.png
  4. Click the Load/Save icon at the top.  It looks like a hard disk:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 2.09.20 PM.png
  5. Click the Save Configuration button
    Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 2.09.34 PM.png

This will download an Apexcfg.bin file to your computer's Downloads folder.  You may move this file to a new folder if you like.  I typically rename the file to include the date, and that way I can keep multiple copies whenever I make a significant change to my Apex.  This allows me to go back to a particular configuration if needed rather than just the latest backup:

• Apexcfg 2019-06-29.bin
  • Apexcfg 2019-06-03.bin
  • Apexcfg 2019-04-17.bin

In addition to the backup file, I also like to save a text version of the system summary as a PDF file.  This can be handy if you just want to see what settings or programming you had, without needing to restore the full backup to the Apex.  

To get to the summary, click the Apex menu and then click Summary.  From there you can scroll through the whole config, or click the Print icon at the upper right.  On most computers you can choose to Save as PDF from the Print screen.

Trust me, you will thank me later if you ever find yourself in the position of needing to restore or repair your Apex config.

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, albertareef said:

These guys should be paying you considering the amount of tech and educational work you do for them.  I'm afraid to ask why you know about needing a backup 🤗

This was prompted by my conversations with two fellow reefers within the past week who experienced Apex issues.  I won’t name names. 🤣