Temp swings and SPS

Elmorenicholas

Just curious if you've tried a temperature controller? Sorry can't answer about the sps... I am currently just using a small USB fans blowing over the top of one of my tanks, timer set to come in when my lights do. Was having a 3-5 degree temp change recently and this seems to do the trick. Temp controllers are great too!! I just tried to diagnose the issues, when the temp went up, why. In my recent case my new light was causing a temp increase, slowly raising the temp during the day. I bought a small USB fan plugged it into a power strip with USB port, set timer to come on when my lights do, so far so good. Also use temp controllers now since I've had a crash from a stuck on heater, they kick off your heater if it gets above your set temp

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

I've been curious about this same thing I tried to do some research but it's all conflicting seems alot of people were claiming allowing a 3-4 degree swing throughout the day was ok since in the ocean that is natural. it also will make your coral hardier. but I feel most people try to keep it in the +-1* range which is what I do. hopefully some of the more experienced people will chime in here. 

• Like 1

I've been curious about this same thing I tried to do some research but it's all conflicting seems alot of people were claiming allowing a 3-4 degree swing throughout the day was ok since in the ocean that is natural. it also will make your coral hardier. but I feel most people try to keep it in the +-1* range which is what I do. hopefully some of the more experienced people will chime in here. 
That's such a great point, heard the same but then you also get stability stability hammered in your head with reef tanks... I can't imagine more than a degree or two could hurt too much? But then again I don't own a lot of SPS!! I guess maybe it depends on how much of a temperature increase and decrease it is too? I know I was freaking out when my tank got up to 82-83 then dipped back down to 78 at night!

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

My tank has been swinging 3-4 degrees for a while now and doesn't seem to affect anything(max temp 78). But I do know that you dont want your tank to get to hot as it will kill sps but dont know what that threshold is for sure.  I dont think you want your tank to get into the mid 80. But low 80 should be ok but dont quote me on this.

Like most things, it is not soo much the absolute change but the rate of change. and the frequency.  The finicky SPS will be much much more finicky, as will smaller frags.  MY tank usually has less than 2 degrees of fluctuation,  When it gets warm then the halides heat it up a little more.  

This is what it typically looks like in warmer weather.. 

Easy...jpg

But I did have a contactor start sticking closed which is REALLY weird because they are spring loaded.  This meant that the heater was stuck on.  I LITERALLY was camping in the mountains and somehow ehile dirt biking all day I got some cell signal and a text that my tank was 81 degrees.  I had to drive 30 minutes to get cell signal then call my son and then my neighbor to unplug the heaters.  This temp swing cost me two NICE frags.  Everything else unaffected.   

damn it.jpg

SO 6 degrees in a day is a bad bad bad situation.  Honestly, with a heater, a fan, and a simple ebay temp controller there is no reason not to have super stable temps.  I do have about 400 gallons of water, but all lights is also around 1200 watts.  

Edited by pdxmonkeyboy
  • Like 1

I keep near 2 degree fluctuation. 78.2 is high end. If it hits 78.3 and the air conditioner goes on. It’s a portable AC that I can aim at the tank as necessary. As long as I have power, I can keep fairly constant temp. To note, I have a higher end heater that is rated nearly double my tank capacity. I monitor temp extensively. Only way to close the remaining 2 degree flux is with an expensive chiller and central heating/AC in my rental house, which isn’t going to happen. 

• Like 1

Like most things, it is not soo much the absolute change but the rate of change. and the frequency.  The finicky SPS will be much much more finicky, as will smaller frags.  MY tank usually has less than 2 degrees of fluctuation,  When it gets warm then the halides heat it up a little more.   This is what it typically looks like in warmer weather.. Easy...thumb.jpg.7cf3d98fb69ec83c71303f0904653dea.jpg   But I did have a contactor start sticking closed which is REALLY weird because they are spring loaded.  This meant that the heater was stuck on.  I LITERALLY was camping in the mountains and somehow ehile dirt biking all day I got some cell signal and a text that my tank was 81 degrees.  I had to drive 30 minutes to get cell signal then call my son and then my neighbor to unplug the heaters.  This temp swing cost me two NICE frags.  Everything else unaffected.   212538568_damnit.thumb.jpg.b6ac398bf126cf64a2fc4244959b4e55.jpg

SO 6 degrees in a day is a bad bad bad situation.  Honestly, with a heater, a fan, and a simple ebay temp controller there is no reason not to have super stable temps.  I do have about 400 gallons of water, but all lights is also around 1200 watts.  

Wow that's awesome you didn't have a complete loss like I did!! It still sucks thought to lose anything. I don't have the $ right now for the Apex myself (my birthday is coming up though so fingers crossed [emoji6]) but after that catastrophe I just use a $25 controller and fans, don't need large fans either. I use one of those ~4 inch USB fans on my 50, someone could probably get by with one or two fans on each end of the tank on a larger one. I can't believe how great they work! $5 at Walmart lol. I don't remember if anyone else mentioned it but you will go through more fresh water. Couple weeks now stays steady maybe half degree temp fluctuation over night that's it now. My 50 is the only tank that I've had issues like this with temp swings, it's because of my new SB Reef 32" light and the recent weather... Light's probably a bit overkill for this sized tank but I love it and plan on hanging on to it for a future upgrade (good thing my husband doesn't see this lol, just upgraded this tank[emoji16]) Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk    

• Like 2