Can Anyone Tell Me How This Works??

TaylorW

So I'm looking at this 72 gallon bowfront someone has for sale I'm considering (I've always loved the look of bowfronts and this happens to be the size I want) but I've never seen this type of overflow (not even sure it is one) I'm confused by the pipe in the middle, the clear box with the U Tube I'm hoping isn't it because that's an automatic bad idea I'm sure... but the tank already appears drilled so why bother with a hob overflow with U-Tube? I'm not experienced with this stuff, most tanks I've had were either sumpless or had the one drain and return?? Anyway I hope this isn't a dumb question 😜 I just really would like to make this work if possible, I haven't bought it yet the girl who's selling it posted it for her sister and I haven't bothered to contact her quite yet because I wanted to try and find out what I'm dealing with here first or if it's a bad idea, flood waiting to happen or maybe it's just missing the overflow box?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! I'm having trouble receiving PM's not quite sure why yet.....IMG_20190308_090139.thumb.jpg.a9b19d2123c1cabf5285a1af13a126ea.jpg

Maybe message seller and ask.  I see it is drilled for return lines but maybe it is not for an overflow? 
I did ask, she posted the ad for her sister [emoji53] I don't know if I want to bother with it now... If I had more experience with this type of thing I would probably consider buying it and making any necessary modifications but since I'm me I would probably end up buying it and not having a clue what to do...

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

To me it looks like what you are saying is the overflow box is like a CPR hang on refugium. I could be wrong but I agree why drill all those holes and not one for an overflow. There are two white pieces of pvc sticking up in the back. Those look like silencer tops for an overflow. Im thinking as weird as it sounds that the grey pipe must be used as an overflow? Is there holes in it? 

To me it looks like what you are saying is the overflow box is like a CPR hang on refugium. I could be wrong but I agree why drill all those holes and not one for an overflow. There are two white pieces of pvc sticking up in the back. Those look like silencer tops for an overflow. Im thinking as weird as it sounds that the grey pipe must be used as an overflow? Is there holes in it? 
These are the only holes I can see, two small holes in this circle... I'm thinking you may be right. I'm still waiting for a picture of the back of the tank, I really like the fact it's a 72 bowfront but I'm not sure I want to deal with this since I wouldn't know how to convert it to something better... Might go with a 50 gallon acrylic I found instead. Really just looking for something between 50-75 gallons but dang the bowfront would have been great lol

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

I am not sure what they used that for either.  you could always just scrap that pipe and make your own overflow using the holes already drilled.  If you were real adventurous you could also build an overflow box around them with some silicone & glass.  

Definitely a weird one though, I will be curious to see what you find out.