What's the best Internal Overflow Box, and how to set it

katarian

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about finally getting an overflow box for my 40g tank. I am so done with the slurpy sounds all the time. 

So what is the best overflow box according to you guys? I am interested in an internal overflow box since I already have the tank drilled on the back. 

And did having the overflow box reduce (if not eliminate) the slurp noise?

Looking forward to the answers, thank you!

• Like 1

Bean and Animal is the way to go if you have the space. Just installed a DIY setup on my new build and done properly it will eliminate all of the sound. I have around 1100 GPH moving through my pipes and if you stick your ear next to the overflow you literally cant hear a sound. 

Super easy to setup, however one thing I learned last week was not to buy a standard PVC ball valve. The ones you can buy at homedepot just dont have the adjustability range to properly dial in your siphon. In short when you adjust standard pvc valves theres no way your turning it less than 10 to 15 degrees at a time. Found a valve on amazon that was way more adjustable. That fine tuning is difference between a quiet overflow and a silent overflow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian Tesch said:

Bean and Animal is the way to go if you have the space. Just installed a DIY setup on my new build and done properly it will eliminate all of the sound. I have around 1100 GPH moving through my pipes and if you stick your ear next to the overflow you literally cant hear a sound. 

Super easy to setup, however one thing I learned last week was not to buy a standard PVC ball valve. The ones you can buy at homedepot just dont have the adjustability range to properly dial in your siphon. In short when you adjust standard pvc valves theres no way your turning it less than 10 to 15 degrees at a time. Found a valve on amazon that was way more adjustable. That fine tuning is difference between a quiet overflow and a silent overflow.

Should be a gate valve for best tuning. Ball valve should be for open/ close applications . Gate valve for adjustments 

• Like 1

Do you mind sharing the link to the one you bought on Amazon? It might just be that, since mine doesn't fine tunes. It's super hard to turn and turns a lot when it does, and it's the homedepot one haha

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

10/10 recommend the synergy overflow. It’s awesome and absolutely silent. It’s so quite that sometimes I have to check to make sure the tank is still running lol. It’s a little spendy but can be used again and again as you change tanks or upgrade. :)
b70aab418e9bf8d86849f5ffd3b34e69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Paratore said:

10/10 recommend the synergy overflow. It’s awesome and absolutely silent. It’s so quite that sometimes I have to check to make sure the tank is still running lol. It’s a little spendy but can be used again and again as you change tanks or upgrade. :)

I agree,  i have one on my 40 and its worked perfectly and looks nice. 

• Like 1

10/10 recommend the synergy overflow. It’s awesome and absolutely silent. It’s so quite that sometimes I have to check to make sure the tank is still running lol. It’s a little spendy but can be used again and again as you change tanks or upgrade. [emoji4]

Okay, thank you :)
I'll see how I can fit this into my budget hehehe :)

3 hours ago, katarian said:

What's a toothless overflow?

it's just like a normal overflow but instead of having teeth, the water flows around, it has a beveled polished edge the water flows over. its less mantaince because you don't have to clean the grates and nothing can cover it and make your tank overflow.

Edited by Bubbles
  • Like 1

it's just like a normal overflow but instead of having teeth, the water flows around, it has a beveled polished edge the water flows over. its less mantaince because you don't have to clean the grates and nothing can cover it and make your tank overflow.
Less maintenance? I'm sold! Mind moving me towards any product links?
Thank you

2 hours ago, katarian said:

Less maintenance? I'm sold! Mind moving me towards any product links?
Thank you

Sadly I think you can only custom make one. I can make one or @pdxmonkeyboy can if he has time possibly. Let me know!

Edited by Bubbles
  • Like 1