Dosing and chemistry

Lovesalt

Unless I've totally missed an area of this hobby, there is no reason to maintain any kind of order when it comes to testing.

Now in regards to correcting parameters, I would think there would be an order. If ammonia tests positive, I'd say that's first issue to tackle. Temp and salinity would be at the top. Unless pH is way out of wack I wouldn't see any use in adjusting that. The big three would all depend on how far off they were. I'd say alk first as that drops the fastest, then calcium, then magnesium. Although if magnesium is way of, it'll be tough to balance the other two. I'd tackle those three together.

Edited by Higher Thinking
  • Like 1

I'm wondering if there's an order in which one should test and correct chemistry?

My pattern is:

Temp

Salinity

Ph

Ammonia

Nitrate

Mag

Alk

Calcium

Is this correct?

Or does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ones that I test/monitor every week are: Temp, Salinity, and Alk. I check Calcium and pH every few weeks, and magnesium and nitrate/phosphate once every few months.

I test alkalinity everyday. Every single morning.

I test my salinity once a month or so. 

My tank controller monitors my temp.

The rest... only if the alkalinity is off or I see algae. 

Once the tank is up and running for a few years the things you test for get fewer. As long as my alk is good, and my gorgonia is open I don't see a need to test anything. JME- granted it took 15 years to get here. 

Unless I've totally missed an area of this hobby, there is no reason to maintain any kind of order when it comes to testing.

Now in regards to correcting parameters, I would think there would be an order. If ammonia tests positive, I'd say that's first issue to tackle. Temp and salinity would be at the top. Unless pH is way out of wack I wouldn't see any use in adjusting that. The big three would all depend on how far off they were. I'd say alk first as that drops the fastest, then calcium, then magnesium. Although if magnesium is way of, it'll be tough to balance the other two. I'd tackle those three together.

I discovered that my mag had dropped way low. And lately been having trouble keeping ca and alk balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk