Feature Article: The Great Hawaiian Coral Bleaching Event of 2015: The Untold Story By Dana Riddle

No problem. While some people will deny Global Warming, we have lost over 90% of the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, due to coral bleaching from high temperatures.  Some will argue that our pollution is not enough to impact the environment. Everyone needs to get involved, whether it is acting locally, sharing information like this, and signing petitions to create or stop certain bills and damage from corporations.

It was good to know that some of the Hawaiian coral bleaching is recovering. Lets hope it is not temporary.

I can't remember how I came across this one:

https://www.jcu.edu.au/news/releases/2016/may/federal-election-last-chance-for-the-reef-jcu-scientists

It required some digging to find it, but it is a pretty decent read.

I think there has been some eyes opening to the idea that these ecosystems need to be saved, but the problem is a lot of the issue comes from global problems. An example would be overproduction of CO2. Well, CO2 couldn't cause problems because it is in the atmosphere, right? Wrong. Ocean acidifcation is caused from excess CO2 and this annihilates coral skeletons (think about a calcium reactor).

Until we can come together and solve these world problems, I think we will just have to continue to understand that these things are going away. Rapidly.

Note: Here is the original article

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0272771416301469

Edited by milesmiles902

And you all believe C02 caused this?  The world is doomed by the ignorant.

I am not going to say CO2 is the only thing that caused this. Don't get me wrong, I love my car as much as the next person. Although, there is no doubt that it contributes a great deal to the livelihood of the ocean and its inhabitants.

Civil conversations are permitted but inflammatory post are frowned upon and will generally not be tolerated long.

We aim to keep it reef related here so lets all act like adults in this conversation, this way we have the option to discuss things like this on our Marine Aquatics forum and not have them moderated or closed. 

• Like 2

I agree Bert. There are many factors that contribute to acidification and temperature increase, which are both, in fact happening... no doubt some natural causes, and some caused by man. I am just posting actual facts here about what is actually happening, and not any causes. :)