Painting diy pvc overflow. Can it be done safely?

joshuapd

I'm building PVC overflows for my new 125g tank and if like to paint the PVC black. I saw a YouTube video that said you can use Krylon Fusion for the pipes in the water but I can't find any confirmation of this. Anyone know anything about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Everything I painted that stays underwater in the display eventually lost its paint.  This is mustly PVC plugs for closing off the closed loop.

I am pretty sure it as due to urchins, they can really scrape and clean stuff.  Otherwise I have had great luck with Krylon also.

• Like 1

Not that this will help you with glass.....

When painting any plastic....pvc,abs,etc.... Use adhesion promoter prior to shooting your base color. This is critical for a good paint job.

Nice! Does Home Depot sell that by chance?

I don't think they will have just the plastic promoter... The plastic spray paint you can buy has promoters in it....  they do not work nearly as good.  Spending $15-25 for a can of promoter is worth it...you will get quite a few projects done with one can.  

Amazon is your friend!  :)

Everything I painted that stays underwater in the display eventually lost its paint.  This is mustly PVC plugs for closing off the closed loop.

I am pretty sure it as due to urchins, they can really scrape and clean stuff.  Otherwise I have had great luck with Krylon also.

How long did it last you? I have never painted anything inside the tank. It has always been the back panel, which never directly touches water.