Tanks for Teachers??

180Bob

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Testing water using test kits and learning that water quality is important is good. You could have them maybe build a element. Phos,calcium, mag, etc.... Have them figure out why you can't just go and get a bucket of ocean water and use it in your tank. There is lots of chemistry involved!!!! Just my 2 cents. :D

We have some used 20 gallon tall and 20 gallon long glass tanks we can donate.

I talked to Steve at Rose City about the tanks. He has some 20 gallon glass tanks for us. They hold water, and have painted sides and backs(which can be scraped off).

Here is my 2 cents about this awesome project the club wants to endorse.

1. The teacher should have some type of application that they fill out stating why they want the tank and how it will be used.

2. The tank should be bullet proof. Skimmer, lights etc.

3. Teacher should be made aware that there is upkeep involved and also a monthly cost for salt.

4. Test kits and a mentor should be associated with each tank give away.

5. Tank should be set up and organisms established for the teacher.

I would be happy to help in anyway I can. The club has helped me set up my tanks and the local shops have been very generous. My students love my tanks and it is an integral part of my curriculum.

Wow,

My wife had an appendectomy so I kinda was off the boards for a week.

Did this ball start rolling or what?!!! I agree with Mr. S. I think an application is good idea. The club mentor is very important too. I think an elementary teacher would love to have a sw tank, but they may think having a SW tank is "too hard" to keep up. We need to encourage teachers to do this yet make sure they are willing to do the upkeep.

I think we could try to help five or six teachers this year.

In addition, catching teachers now is a GOOD IDEA. Enthusiasm is high all around.There are lots of excited teachers and kids with the hope of a good school year. We should get the word out as soon as possible.

I think getting teachers of club members kids involved is the best chance we have at getting this off the ground this Fall. There is a built-in mentor that has a "vested interest" in the success of the tank.

I think we should not encourage "reef" tanks. Saltwater with inverts and a fish or two is a better way to describe it.

20 long- yes cheap and good for micro habitats/ light penetration

Live diy rock- yes

Inverts that reproduce easily in our tanks- yes.

Tank raised clowns from local breeders - yes

A few mushrooms that keep intruding on SPS growth in our tanks -yes.

Caluerpa or other macroalgae- yes

We could start a used sand stockpile instead of trying to pawn it off on the classified boards.

I agree with Dennis on the light issue. But hey, even an advanced HS class is not gonna grow SPS "THIS" year anyways. Mushrooms could probably make it under a pretty inexpensive on sale PCF. Used lighting might help here too.

I disagree with Dennis about different needs in high school/ middle school/ elementary.

A basic system is a good starting point for ANY teacher and would be greatly appreciated by an AP Bio teacher or kindergarten teacher.

What we need now are candidates!!!!!! Members: when late August hits call those schools. They WILL be receptive. If you want to mentor but don't have kids then give them a call too. For example:

Reefgeek (Brandon)- Find a school near you and give them a call. Mentor their set up and stocking experience with your 12 g. THAT would get this thing off the ground.

Whew you guys got my juices flowing!!!

I talked to Steve at Rose City about the tanks. He has some 20 gallon glass tanks for us. They hold water' date=' and have painted sides and backs(which can be scraped off).[/quote']

Should we accept this donation of glass tanks? I know that acrylic tanks would be ideal, but it is a generous offer. Any feedback on this?

• 1 month later...

How is this project progressing? Is anyone working on it?

I know of at least three other teachers that would LOVE to have a SW tank in their classroom. One used to work at (maybe own or manage) a pet store, so knows a lot about fish. Another is married to the first (works at a different school), and the third is in the classroom next door to me and has no knowledge of SW, but likes the idea of having some "nemos" in his room for the kids to play with.

This is a great opportunity to get students interested in marine life and conservation. Let's not let it slip through our fingers.

dsoz

Hey, I have some new info on this too. I got an order from IPSF for the start of the school year and they told me about a cool program they have got going on the East coast. They are piloting a bare bones ten gallon system designed for teachers with a curriculum that goes with the tank. They have a design set up that is cheap. The guy I spoke with said the design is invert only. Simple lights means softies and mushroom corals. He sounded interested in our desire to start a program. Maybe an officer in the club could contact them to get the ball rolling. We could even get one ordered for an interested teacher and then copy it for other teachers once we had it figured out.

Hey' date=' I have some new info on this too. I got an order from IPSF for the start of the school year and they told me about a cool program they have got going on the East coast. They are piloting a bare bones ten gallon system designed for teachers with a curriculum that goes with the tank. They have a design set up that is cheap. The guy I spoke with said the design is invert only. Simple lights means softies and mushroom corals. He sounded interested in our desire to start a program. Maybe an officer in the club could contact them to get the ball rolling. We could even get one ordered for an interested teacher and then copy it for other teachers once we had it figured out.[/quote']

Do you have a name, email address, phone number etc. I would be glad to contact them and see what I can find out.

Rose City Aquarium generously gave 6 x20 Gal tanks . I gave 2 to Jay and 2 to Bob and Brandy for the South. I still have 2 in my garage waiting to be handed over. WE can get started on this as soon as we have a good working plan, including Target (teh teacher/classroom), budget, supplies and Mentors (who will help guide the teacher). A discussion with the board will take place at the next board meeting. We are heading the right way!

Thanks for the input. I have a couple of questions:

1) What size tank would you think be the best beginning size for teachers: 10-20, 20-30, 30-50 gallons.

2) Wouldn't VHO or PC lighting be enough for a beginning tank. This should cost significantly less than $500.

3) Would it be better to have a sand for the tank too, or could it sit on a counter? Do you know the standard depth of school counter tops.

4) Are you using a chiller on you tanks? This would be a big part of the cost if needed.

5) Do you have a RO/DI unit at the school? I guess a member could supply this to the teacher.

Bob

Im new around here, but thought I would throw this out there.

2) VHO should be plenty for a softies tank anyway. I dont see us tossing a full blown SPS tank into a beginners hands so no need for MH's. Also this reduces the heat issue and may help so we dont need the chiller mentioned =D

3) I am a finish carpenter/cabinet installer for a living. If materials were provided (sorry Im poor) I would be more than happy to build stands/hoods for these tanks. I could build a stand/hood for a 75g tank in a weekend without much trouble, unless they needed to be really fancy which I don't see being a problem in a school. Something basic WITH LOCKS on it would be easy. Gotta make sure we can lock these tanks up so kids dont screw with em.

5) Seahorse Salt makes pre mixes salt and RO/DI water on a large scale. I don't know if anyone else does. But if the teacher taking care of the tank was willing to do it, they could just go pick up water once a month for there water change/top off needs.

Something I was thinking of also. Would it be better to give the tanks to a specific teacher, or to a school. If it were to a school and they were placed in say the front office, then everyone who visited the school/went to the office could enjoy the tank. Then we would just have to get the science teacher or whatever to dedicate to learning how to care for them.

Edit: Something to look into about the glass tanks. Some schools wont allow glass that is not tempered due to the fact that if it did happen to get broken then it could cut someone. I know it seems silly, but its something to think about.

• 4 weeks later...

Moving forward

Ok great.

This was discussed at the Board Meeting and the Club meeting yesterday. We are moving forward with this. A list of donated items and needed items will be posted as well so that peole can check what they can contribute to make it happen.

Our plan is to start teh first tank with DSOZ and make it work. Reefgeek are you still giving your complete system for that first trial? Could you remind us what is missing ?

Thanks