LED vs. ATI Lighting Needed for a 220g?

Peng

Hi everyone I'm building a 68" x 30" x 25" tank. It's 30 inches wide. I'm still very puzzled about LED and I've been using LED but coral color and growth just aren't that good.

I'm thinking about ATI sunpower fixture but I'm really not sure if T5 is a better option. I keep SPS corals. I looked at ATI 60" Sunpower 8 x 80W fixture. But I'm not sure if that can cover the 68" long, 30" wide aquarium for SPS corals.

I've seen some really great colors from people who use T5 bulbs so I'm seriously considering them. But from another point of view it does look like LEDs save more money long term. However I'm not sure if they can last more than a few years though.

I'm contemplating between Oceans By Design's Helios LED fixtures and ATI's Sunpower 60" 8 x 80W.

What's your opinion? Will appreciate all inputs!!!

I don't know much about the helios led units but if it's sps you like ATI is proven to work. As far as length a 60" unit should cover a 68" tank well. You'll have 4" of lower light on each side but should be good for lower light coral. To cover those dimensions with leds it would take quite a few units and could possibly be just as costly as t5.

Just like Jorge has stated. Don't complicate this or spend to much time worrying, if you want your SPS to grow with the least amount of effort with excellent results toss LED out of the Equation, If you want absolutely hands down the best growth and color get yourself a T5/Halide Hybrid fixture, tried & True. I have seen other supplement their T5's with LED But again keep it simple and choose the T5 for primary.

As for saving money in the long run, theoretically yes, in practice absolutely not. The LEDS suck up almost as much wattage as the T5's with the bigger fixtures, as well I do not see anyone holding their fixture for the 11-12 years rather changing them out every 2-3 if not sooner as so many people I see with LED lighting are indecisive. Everytime you change fixtures thats a good amount of cash, and more so than compared with new bulbs.

Edited by Exodus
  • Like 1

ATI with t5 bulbs will get you great color and growth for sps. I personally still am not sold on LEDs and will likely go back to an ATI when and if I ever upgrade. 

Like Jorge mentioned a 60" will give you good coverage. 

I had a 5 foot tank and went with the shorter light so I could have less par on the sides for lps. Here is an old photo with my ATI set up. I believe Mandinga on the forum here now has that setup as I was out of the hobby for a little while and now just have a 20gallon IM nuvo.

DSC08127ARW.jpg

• Like 2

ATI with t5 bulbs will get you great color and growth for sps. I personally still am not sold on LEDs and will likely go back to an ATI when and if I ever upgrade. 

Like Jorge mentioned a 60" will give you good coverage. 

I had a 5 foot tank and went with the shorter light so I could have less par on the sides for lps. Here is an old photo with my ATI set up. I believe Mandinga on the forum here now has that setup as I was out of the hobby for a little while and now just have a 20gallon IM nuvo.

DSC08127ARW.jpg

Hey emerald than I have the deal for you 48" sunpower excellent condition and 8 new bulbs $350 8x54 watt