Computer security ?

Michael7979

The Norton Anti-virus that came with the computer is about to expire. I'd like to know whats go out there as a replacement..............or should I re-up with Norton?

Tell me what you think is the best? Cost? And where I could get it?

Thanks in advance

I would get rid of Norton. That program is like a virus itself and hogs tons of system resources. All for what? I find that there are great programs out there like AVG and others that do a perfectly fine job for about 95% of the people out there. As long as you are not opening a bunch of stuff from people you dont know and not gong to sketchy websites and downloading all kinds of stuff, you SHOULD be fine. I am not a computer security expert, but it seems to me that the computer security business has scared most people into buying their software, when most really do not need the stuff.

Not to mention you should be backing up all of the important items to another hard drive weekly anyway......right?

My two cents.

I worked as a computer tech at a computer store for a while and all we did was used AVG and Firefox. It gets rid of most of the problems that people have with spyware and junk. I use the same on my computer. Norton and others like them (Macfee (sp?)) have problems because they will really slow down your computer, esp. if you don't have a lot of RAM.

AVG has worked well for me for the past 2 years. I switched from nortons memory hogging configuation. I build computers and have worked as a technician for a long time and would most definately recomend AVG. Try and go for the one that you pay for if you want the best protection, but if not no big deal. Aslo consider using Webroots Spysweeper. You can get that at Best Buy or any other major electronics retailer. Together those 2 keep systems really clean and both auto update for you.

Good choice everyone,

Garrett