DeWalt drill in hand. . . Help pull the trigger. . . or not?

Yourmedic

So here I am, the new guy to the sweet world of coral! I'm rocking a IT-2040 LED system on top of my 40B, slowly bringing it up. Right now, it is running at 35% max for 4.5 hours of the day. I have 2 frags that are at the bottom of the tank as to acclimate them to the LEDs. I have a few questions and would love all the info you have to throw at me!

1. Am I really taking my DeWalt drill to a piece of live rock from my tank? If so, do I pull out the coral to see the size of drill bit I need for the plug?

2. This one may get confusing; once the frag is attached to the rock, do I slowly move the rock up in my tank to the right level, or do I "putty" the frag on different rocks until it get to the level, then drill the rock and place the frag? Did that make sense? Essentially, how do I place the frag at the right level in my tank according to lighting requirements? 

3. Lastly, how do I know when I found the "sweet number" for the LEDs to stay at for the max? Do I wait until my frags are placed and every week raise the % by a few until my coral looks pissed, then take them back down just a few? 

Thanks for all the help everyone! 

For zoas, You can also cut the stem off of frag plugs with a pair of side cutters, or a toenail cutter (aka frag cutter).  They cut right off and that leaves you with a flat disk.  

To improve the look, you can trim the sides of the frag plug to make it no longer round.

Reef putty and superglue it to the rock wherever you want, bingo!

I do love the idea of drilling the rock but the odds of getting all the holes exactly where you want as your collection grows is tough.

Good post, title definitely got my attention :)

• Like 1

If they are SPS or LPS, just take coral off the plug and glue direct to rock.

Great, thanks for the help! 

For zoas, You can also cut the stem off of frag plugs with a pair of side cutters, or a toenail cutter (aka frag cutter).  They cut right off and that leaves you with a flat disk.  

To improve the look, you can trim the sides of the frag plug to make it no longer round.

Reef putty and superglue it to the rock wherever you want, bingo!

I do love the idea of drilling the rock but the odds of getting all the holes exactly where you want as your collection grows is tough.

Good post, title definitely got my attention :)

Awesome, time to go shopping!! I love new toys! Thanks for the help, I keep looking at my drill thinking, "no way. . . this is going to get tricky after my first few frags!" LoL 

bone cutters would be the best, less rusting on your tools later.. and be sure to pick up plenty of super glue gel to place them

Dollar tree has the green cap 2 pack thats always a deal

Bonecutters, that's what my brain wanted to say.

Although lately I have been using these, very awesome also...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B407KAI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1