Sign in to follow this  
Sasquatch

Dat Salt Creep

Not a photo, but I would like to share something. I was once doing maintenance on large tank with a huge homemade canopy. They had neglected maintenance a long time, and there was a massive buildup of salt around the metal halide fixture. As I looked into the situation, a large chunk of salt drop onto a massive Hammer Coral in the tank. I could not retrieve it quick enough, and about a 1/3 of the coral tissue was killed. Take care letting this stuff fall into your tank. :(

Not a photo, but I would like to share something. I was once doing maintenance on large tank with a huge homemade canopy. They had neglected maintenance a long time, and there was a massive buildup of salt around the metal halide fixture. As I looked into the situation, a large chunk of salt drop onto a massive Hammer Coral in the tank. I could not retrieve it quick enough, and about a 1/3 of the coral tissue was killed. Take care letting this stuff fall into your tank. :(

Ugh. They were lucky just to lose a coral. I've seen a similar situation cause a fire. Luckily it was caught immediately! Salt creeping onto the thin wires of a light fixture=bad news.

• Like 1

That's nothing, check this out.

saltcreep1_500a.jpg

Thats the #1 reason I dont like sumps and water leaving the tank.. I just use AIO, but it can still get on the lid of the tank or light now and then..

Post up them creep photos, and no, not yo faces

Edited by Sasquatch

Ugh. They were lucky just to lose a coral. I've seen a similar situation cause a fire. Luckily it was caught immediately! Salt creeping onto the thin wires of a light fixture=bad news.

Results of salt creep. Please use a GFCI.

fish%20052509%20005_zpsyjbfnsdy.jpg

salt%20burnt_zps20pstc5n.jpg

fire2_zpsse06kofv.jpg

fire_zpsqhfie5rw.jpg