Bangaii Cardinals Spawn

JManrow

Why would someone be excited when a fish stops eating?

When it's a male Banggai Cardinal! :) I bought a pair of Banggai Cardinals from cerc185 last month, both very healthy and eating well. I noticed the male did not eat this evening, so the first thing I did was look for eggs. Sure enough, his mouth looks to be full of eggs! Time to do a little reading up on incubation time and all. I have raised freshwater mouth-brooding cichlids, and I hear this is very similar. They are both being very secretive having out behind the gorgonians right now. He did venture out while the female ate. I mainly need to watch for her being territorial over the male.

BangaiiMale2-11-15_zpsb6366ed6.jpg

Edited by JManrow
  • Like 3

Sounds like lots of fun. I have raised koi spawn several times and end up with thousands of fish. They start in the spring

looking like mosquitoes and end up being about 4 inches long by the time fall rolls around. Let me

know if you have some babies (a couple)you want to get rid of when the time is right. I hope you can keep them healthy

until they are bigger. Have fun with this!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive my ignorance on Cardinal specific fry raising techniques as I've only researched clowns, BUT, have you looking into using Reed Mariculture TDO?  It's a dry food that you use following a few days of rots to get the feeding response going.  it's worth a google.

Congrats!!

• Like 2

Forgive my ignorance on Cardinal specific fry raising techniques as I've only researched clowns, BUT, have you looking into using Reed Mariculture TDO?  It's a dry food that you use following a few days of rots to get the feeding response going.  it's worth a google.

Congrats!!

Dave Durr was using that or something similar (Otohime) with his clowns. Thanks! These guys are about 1/4" already. They shouldn't be difficult to raise. The main thing right now is getting them out of the main tank! Thanks!

I got some good tips from Randy. I will add some Otohime to the live rotifers or brine shrimp. Mixing them together they see the live movement and  hit the Otohime. That would significantly reduce the amount of live food I would need.

I have live rotifers, newly hatched brine shrimp, live copepods, and frozen copepods(S.F. Bay Brand Reef Plankton, similar to Cyclopeze). I have 11 Banggers in the mesh breeding trap, and only 1 more to catch.  The little guy is harder to catch than all the others. They were much easier to catch as a school!

I just caught him! I finally just put my hand under the rock and chased him into a net.

Edited by JManrow

I'm using a high protein breeder food that I have pulverized that has all the same ingredients plus a few more. I didn't feel it was necessary to order 1 or 2 kilos of TDO or Otohime for a dozen fry. I am still going to supplement this with Nannochloropsis enriched brine shrimp and copepods.

Edited by JManrow

The Banggais that spawned in my home aquarium released their free-swimming young on days 19 & 20 after mouth incubation. The original 12 are now 14 days free-swimming, and eating mostly finely powdered Cobalt Aquatics Pro Breeder Flakes...very high in HUFA(Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids). Here they are this morning. Also, I am posting some YouTube video.

14%20days_zpstw5hpiq3.jpg

Banggai Cardinal Egg Transfer

A Beautiful Invasion: Banggai Cardinalfish

Edited by JManrow

Have been feeding the fry 3 times a day. Was up late last night and missed their morning feeding. 3 of them are looking very weak, and probably won't make it.

That's one thing about raising fry... it is time consuming and you can't take a day off, let alone 1/2 a day!