Coralline Algea?

ReefSafari

So this system has been setup for over a year now, and I started fresh with dry Marco Rock, with a couple of peices of live rock to help seed the tank. Lighting is a dual 250w Sunpod with Phoenix 14k's, Water paremeters are somewhat within proper range, but my question is, the tank has NO coralline algea, I ever so breifly started getting every so slight amount on the overflow and return lines, but none on the glass or really the rocks. Is this normal? Is it ok to not have Coralline algea? I kind of always considered having some in your tank a good thing, and always thought the conditions had to be just right for it to grow, so not having ANY at all is kind of concerning.

I am curious, is it normal to not have any coralline algea growth? is it bad, good? I know some people don't like it, I personally like it on the rocks, the glass seems easily cleaned of it, so that doesn't concern me, I was just curious as to why I can't seem to grow it.

I do currently have an Urchin, but that was only given to me recently, its gone a long time with no urchin and still no Coralline Algea...

I was always kind of under the impression a tank with some coralline algea was a healthy tank, meaning the parameters where just right for it to grow, so not being able to grow it, what does that mean?

Tank seems so Sterile without at least a little Coralline Algea doesn't it?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12353[/ATTACH]

post-6243-141867788656_thumb.jpg

I've heard that you can take a rock with existing live coraline algae on it and scrape it off small bits of it and spread the little pieces throughout the tank to help seed it a little faster. Coraline is one of those things that becomes a nuisance in some tanks and just won't take off in others.

I got coraline algae to grow everywhere in my tank by putting rocks with some in a tank that had a lot of flow and before I turned on the MHs. Once the MHs were running regularly, most of the growth seemed stop. I also found that when I just had the coraline and no corals, that the tank still sucked up a lot of alkalinity and calcium every day.

I too have a bunch of marco rock. about 100lbs of it. I seeded it with about 80lbs of older rock when I set my tank up. The first year I had massive coraline growth. since then most of it has turned greenish or all but dissapeared. not sure what the deal is. I get new bulbs next week, so I will see if putting decent bulbs in again will help it.

When I had a tank with MH over it the coraline was pretty scarce. But now my tank has t5's and it grows everywhere and super fast. If I don't clean the front glass for a few days it even shows up on that.

I second this claim, all Ive ever had is T-5s and I transferred to a bigger tank somewhere close to Sept.. Well it's cover my overflow box and showing up on the glass too.

When I had a tank with MH over it the coraline was pretty scarce. But now my tank has t5's and it grows everywhere and super fast. If I don't clean the front glass for a few days it even shows up on that.

I had great growth with MH's, T5's and now even my led's. Not sure what it could be in your tank.

David - I have some supplements that your welcome to try in your tank if you want. Let me know.

from what i can see your corals look good....so here is a few ideas.....so you might have to bumb up the cal levels get them around 450-480....keep it high....urchins eat coralline algea....might have to get new bulbs....with the coarls looking good they are getting a nice dose of cal but they might be using it all up....i bet your alk is high....hope this helps

Archived