ipad vs asus transformer vs xoom

frlejo

ipad vs asus transformer vs xoom  

1. 1.

i am thinking of getting 1 of the 3 by xmas. i understand the ipad 2 will do flash if you use the photon browser, not sure if it is worth the extra cost. what are you guys using? i am leaning towards a 10 or screen. i hear amazon is coming out with the kindle fire @$199. will do flash. only a 7" screen, but sounds like a good deal.

You forgot about the apple newton. I've been using one for the better part of 20 years. With its sleek design, touch screen and 2 tone display, all your friends will be in a jealous rage at the sight of your new bit of technology.

newton-right.jpg

None of the above is true.

You forgot about the apple newton. I've been using one for the better part of 20 years. With its sleek design, touch screen and 2 tone display, all your friends will be in a jealous rage at the sight of your new bit of technology.

newton-right.jpg

This is how I made my first 2.4 million. An excellent tool only second to my Nokia 6650. I couldn't live without my trackball either but I would be in some serious trouble without Oregon Trail for my extremely advanced Microsoft DOS system. It really helps to calm the nerves after a long day deciding which quality of paper stock to use for my matte finished crisp business cards. I just heard about a great company that is developing a new "search engine." It is named Yahoo. I know, it sounds like a silly name but I am going to throw a few hundred thousand into it and see what happens. I am also hanging on to my apple stock since I am sure the newton will lead to some pretty great innovation.

newton-right.jpg

Most of you are probably are too young to remember the Newton, but it was 20 years ahead of it's time. Another case where Apple knew what we needed before we knew we needed it. The public was just not ready to embrace it yet.

Bonus: How many of you remember HyperCard? It was the basis for every browser we use today, again, developed by Apple years ahead of it's time.

Oh, and buy the iPad. There is no substitute. The rest, while nice, are wannabees.

Yes! iPad! I am writing this on my iPad 2 32 gb 3G, traded up from original iPad 16gb wifi. Lesson learned on first purchase: don't go with the cheapest, most basic (think protien skimmer) but go mid-range. currenly I don't have a data plan on mine, but can add one on a month-to-month basis for traveling. And 16 gig fills faster than you think. Highly recommended!

H

Ive had a newton and a PowerBook 500. Brainwashed since 1989

Most of you are probably are too young to remember the Newton, but it was 20 years ahead of it's time. Another case where Apple knew what we needed before we knew we needed it. The public was just not ready to embrace it yet.

Bonus: How many of you remember HyperCard? It was the basis for every browser we use today, again, developed by Apple years ahead of it's time.

Oh, and buy the iPad. There is no substitute. The rest, while nice, are wannabees.

I needed to use Unix commands to get on the net with my old Mac. No Gooey. Then again, it was free. Used to need to cut wires to get more than 1/2 meg of ram. Ram was $40.00 for 1 meg. Now you get 8,000 megs for $40.00

I needed to use Unix commands to get on the net with my old Mac. No Gooey. Then again' date=' it was free. Used to need to cut wires to get more than 1/2 meg of ram. Ram was $40.00 for 1 meg. Now you get 8,000 megs for $40.00[/quote']

Heh! $40.00 was cheap. How about $200.00 for 1 Meg of ram for my Mac SE at Computerware in Palo Alto in 1986. I bought a 10 Megabyte hard drive at MacWorld Expo in January 1986, paid $1100.00 for it and was thrilled!

Well I am an Apple hater, i will never own another apple device, so I would suggest the Kindle Fire. Its looks pretty slick and is a fraction of the cost. Save the other $500 and head to Hawaii and read/watch/play with your new device on the beach!!

Heh! $40.00 was cheap. How about $200.00 for 1 Meg of ram for my Mac SE at Computerware in Palo Alto in 1986. I bought a 10 Megabyte hard drive at MacWorld Expo in January 1986' date=' paid $1100.00 for it and was thrilled![/quote']

I recall a chip plant burning down and RAM skyrocketing up into that $100 range.

I had a HUGE 10 meg drive. I was running Adobe Pagemaker and a lot of minor apps and still had room. No bloatrware there!

I remember loading MS Office on a Mac with 60 floppies (MS didn't support CD's) Took hours. Two months later MS came out with a 12 floppy upgrade cause they crippled the Mac version of Office.

Oh, and the $200.00 Mac keyboard.

I recall a chip plant burning down and RAM skyrocketing up into that $100 range.

I had a HUGE 10 meg drive. I was running Adobe Pagemaker and a lot of minor apps and still had room. No bloatrware there!

I remember loading MS Office on a Mac with 60 floppies (MS didn't support CD's) Took hours. Two months later MS came out with a 12 floppy upgrade cause they crippled the Mac version of Office.

Oh, and the $200.00 Mac keyboard.

You mean ALDUS Pagemaker! I had it it too. Along with Adobe Illustrator, Quark Express, MS Word and a crapload of other stuff and still had 6 megs of free space! On a Windows 3.1 POS, you couldn't find a screensaver that was less than 10 megs. It was a PITA using Pagemaker on that little 9 inch Mac SE screen though.

tripping down memory lane, now guys. first puter i had was a TI with a tape backup. spent 3 days with the wifey reading off commands from a programmer's book, because i would get lost looking at what i typed, & back to the book. after 3 days, the puter marched some square block across the screen once. any techies want to throw out the diff between what the ipad & the other 2 does, as far as capability? thanks. my sis in law ordered the kindle fire, will see what that does. i think anything you want it to do, will have to come from amazon, no third party stuff. hence the low price.

tripping down memory lane' date=' now guys. first puter i had was a TI with a tape backup. spent 3 days with the wifey reading off commands from a programmer's book, because i would get lost looking at what i typed, & back to the book. after 3 days, the puter marched some square block across the screen once. any techies want to throw out the diff between what the ipad & the other 2 does, as far as capability? thanks. my sis in law ordered the kindle fire, will see what that does. i think anything you want it to do, will have to come from amazon, no third party stuff. hence the low price.[/quote']

Hey if you are not in a hurry to buy a tablet, it appears Ubuntu Linux is going to release a tablet pretty soon, thats something i can get on board with!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20127838-92/ubuntu-linux-eyes-tablet-territory/

My first computer was an Adam, i managed to get that same square block march across my screen as well.

As far as differences, any spec comparison will be pretty irrelevant. Any of them will work as fast or faster than you can. They all have bright, clear screens, some have better cameras than others, but how many people will use this for a camera. They will all surf the web, access your email etc. i just returned from a business trip to China and used my iPad to skype my wife every day. It worked pretty awesome.

You could use the same criteria that PC users have used for years; Look at the software available for the device you want. There are 10's of thousands of apps for the iPad, not quite so many for all the others. The iPad owns at least 80% of the market, the vast majority of the app development is going toward that platform. It integrates seemlessly with itunes, and now there is icloud, which actually is pretty cool. Go to apple.com and watch the video.

Good luck.

My first computer was an Adam, i managed to get that same square block march across my screen as well.

As far as differences, any spec comparison will be pretty irrelevant. Any of them will work as fast or faster than you can. They all have bright, clear screens, some have better cameras than others, but how many people will use this for a camera. They will all surf the web, access your email etc. i just returned from a business trip to China and used my iPad to skype my wife every day. It worked pretty awesome.

You could use the same criteria that PC users have used for years; Look at the software available for the device you want. There are 10's of thousands of apps for the iPad, not quite so many for all the others. The iPad owns at least 80% of the market, the vast majority of the app development is going toward that platform. It integrates seemlessly with itunes, and now there is icloud, which actually is pretty cool. Go to apple.com and watch the video.

Good luck.

This is good advice. Get the device that does what you are wanting to get done. This is how you should determine the device for you, not by marketing (not saying you would do that!!! (laugh) )

But a little off on the app info. Apple has roughly 600,000 apps, and Android has roughly 500,000. Android market is growing at a much much more rapid pace than the App store, and has been around for less time. It will eclipse the App store in early 2012. Not to mention roughly 57% of Android markets apps are free, compared to 37% for the App store. The Android platform was responsible for 44 percent of all mobile app downloads in the second quarter of 2011, as opposed to iOS’s 31 percent, according to ABI Research.

This is what I tell most people who ask me about which device to get:

If you want ease of use, and setup right out of the box for you go Apple.

If you want to be able to use your device how you want, and have flexibility to change anything on the device go Android.

In the end both will likely accomplish what you are wanting to do, its the extra stuff that will sway you one way or the other.

This is good advice. Get the device that does what you are wanting to get done. This is how you should determine the device for you, not by marketing (not saying you would do that!!! (laugh) )

But a little off on the app info. Apple has roughly 600,000 apps, and Android has roughly 500,000. Android market is growing at a much much more rapid pace than the App store, and has been around for less time. It will eclipse the App store in early 2012. Not to mention roughly 57% of Android markets apps are free, compared to 37% for the App store. The Android platform was responsible for 44 percent of all mobile app downloads in the second quarter of 2011, as opposed to iOS’s 31 percent, according to ABI Research.

Uhhhh, maybe not:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/01/mystery-how-many-android-tablet-apps/

This was posted July 1st so it's about 4 months old. Apple now claims 140000 apps for the iPad alone, not counting all of the iPhone apps available. http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/

It's doubtful that Android apps are anywhere near the number cited above and more likely number in the hundreds rather than thousands. You also have to remember that for the Android units, there are what, 5 or 6 (or more) devices using this OS, whereas for iPad, there is 1 device. It's pretty astounding when you think of it, this a market that didn't exist a year or two ago and is now taking over pretty much the entire PC market.

There is only 1 iPad, everything else is an imitation.

Uhhhh, maybe not:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/01/mystery-how-many-android-tablet-apps/

This was posted July 1st so it's about 4 months old. Apple now claims 140000 apps for the iPad alone, not counting all of the iPhone apps available. http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-app-store/

It's doubtful that Android apps are anywhere near the number cited above and more likely number in the hundreds rather than thousands. You also have to remember that for the Android units, there are what, 5 or 6 (or more) devices using this OS, whereas for iPad, there is 1 device. It's pretty astounding when you think of it, this a market that didn't exist a year or two ago and is now taking over pretty much the entire PC market.

There is only 1 iPad, everything else is an imitation.

DOH! Yah my numbers probably include phone apps. But that is how many apps are in the actual Android market/App Store.

Android is still growing at a much faster pace, so I don't imagine the gap will last much past mid 2012. Android apps are being published at at 2 to 1 clip vs iOS. Of course they don't have an overlord watching and approving every app either (laugh) so pretty much anyone can create an app for Android.

I will say that Apple is incredible at creating new technology. That projection keyboard is going to be SLICK!

Archived