SPS turning white need advise

TRENT

Just received this a week a ago from a on-line vendor. Was shipped overnight with no heat pack (still low 40"s at night) so never looked that good to start with? Also came with a crab in it, Acro Crab?

All other SPS's look good. I run Kalk in a ATO and use Two Part to adjust if needed.

Pictures taken with and without flash. One side of the coral looks better than the other? a few of the branches were white when I received the coral but the rest looked ok. I figured it was this way from them fragging it in the wild.

What should I do (move it, dip it, or Frag it to save some of it)? Or let it be and see what happens? Thanks

Parameters are;

Temp 77.7

Nitrate-0

Phos-0

Ca-440

DkH-9

Ph-8.2-8.4

Mg- 1290

DSC03197.jpg

DSC03200.jpg

DSC03201.jpg

DSC03203.jpg

DSC03206.jpg

DSC03198.jpg

It sounds like the coral bleached because they got too cold during shipping. There really isn't much you can do now except cutting the healthy parts off. Most online sellers will replace bleached coral, so I would contact the seller and see what they will do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Doesn't look good man . What I would do is cut off a little above where the coral is dying and put on a frag plug & hopefully you will save most of our sps . & what color is the crab ??

Crab is white and smaller than a dime?

Looks like RTN' date=' the only way to save some of the coral is to frag it. Part of the hobby, it happens.[/quote']

So just cut the tips off? Do I need to mount them right away?

The on- line retailer has a guarantee. Would this fall under guaranteed?

Trent--RTN--Most will agree--fragging is your only chance and then all frags will succumb and die...hate to be negative but a few people may have saved some of these in the past but most will tell you it's a lost cause...worth a try...don't get your hopes up...put frags in sump out of light for a couple days...may delay RTN progression...even established tanks can go through this... I am right now...have lost a couple colonies that I've had for months...reason...?????

DrMerle

My experience with trying to save an RTN coral. Dip with coral rx, cut at least 1/4'' above dead spots, superglue to rocks or plugs. If you are lucky some might make it. I think the glue is an important part. I've had rtn where I just glued over the affected area and had it stop before.

Thank you guys for all the advice. I called the retailer and they said no problem. Credit applied. They did advise to go ahead and frag it if I wanted, so I did. Here are a few pictures. Thanks again!

you can see how fast it spread all pictures taken today

DSC03237.jpg

the rest are just pieces after fragging

DSC03248.jpg

DSC03249.jpg

one keeper, piece to the top right and a few tips

DSC03246.jpg

It happens a fair amount with shipping. Just take a picture and the seller will likely replace the frag. I agree most likely cause is being too cold but simply from stress sps can do this with shipping. nice colony doesn't look like it was fresh fragged. Good luck. I have not had much luck when they do this. Agree looks like RTN.

Trent--RTN--Most will agree--fragging is your only chance and then all frags will succumb and die...hate to be negative but a few people may have saved some of these in the past but most will tell you it's a lost cause...worth a try...don't get your hopes up...put frags in sump out of light for a couple days...may delay RTN progression...even established tanks can go through this... I am right now...have lost a couple colonies that I've had for months...reason...?????

DrMerle

I agree with placing any remaing frags in the sump for a few days to a week. I recently purchased a maricultered colony that rtn'd on me. I cut off a few frags and out of 4. One stopped and is now onto a full recovery! Just my 2 cents:)

when somthing like this happens all frags need to be in heavy flow area this has worked well for me and would say I have saved close to 90% of frags from a RTN colony so move to a high flow area if possible then in a few weeks move to new locations

Archived