Whoa - Monti has dead spots?

JasonH

What's up with this guy. Pic taken without tank lights. There are random spots of dead tissue on my monti. Not really sure what would cause than. I don't see any nudi's - and they tend to eat up from the edges - not spots.

Only thing I've added recently is an acro, and they don't tend to share pests. I did just hook up my phosphate reacter after a break.

Anyone have an idea of what would cause this? I haven't seen this before. I could take it out and dip in Revice or CoralRx.

Thanks for the input

Whole Coral:

MontiWhole.jpg

Close up:

MontiCloseup.jpg

I don't see any nudi's - no wavy frills of their gills. I'll flip on the lights tonight after dark and see if I can catch them. But also, the way I understand, they eat the edges, they don't crawl to the middle of the coral and then start chomping.

I appreciate the feedback.

I agree it looks like something is eating it. I have noticed if parameters are off it's going to be more of a diffuse appearance not a moth eaten appearance like this. We had this happen to our montis and it turned out to be those innocent appearing asterina stars.

Strange. In the close up pic on the bottom middle spot, it does kind of look like a monti eating nudi. Probably what Miles is talking about but other than that I don't really see any and you are right, they just don't tend to eat spots like that. They work from the edges in and usually only eat small patches around the bottom or edges at a time.

Interest thought on something settling. I did dose some Kent dkH buffer - I was in a hurry and might not have mixed it well.

I know which of the circles kind of looks like a monti and I double checked, it's still there and not a monti, just looks funny in the photo.

Thanks for the input/ideas, guys.

Archived