not real new to the hobby, but new to this forum

city hunter

Hey all, I jsut found this forum the other day via craigslist actually. I've been playing with saltwater since around 2000, but took a break after work had me on the road too much to take care of my tank. I started with a 10g tank and eventually ended up with a 80 with a hang on overflow and 2 400w mh before I nuked my fish on accident quite a few years ago.

Anyhow, my girlfriend was itnerested ing etting into it, so I figured what the heck, and bought a 75g glass with built in overflow last january. The tank has been doing good other than one weird disease breakout about 6 months back, took out 5 fish which took out most of my original fish unfortunately. The sole survivors were a flame angle, a coral beauty and a scooter dragonet which was the second fish we bought, and it was just a baby then. I believe I lost a clown wrasse, potters wrasse, 4 line wrasse, flase perc, large midas blenny, and something else... I picked up a uv ster shortly after and just ran it for a month and a half before I even wanted to think about adding anything new.

I added a few other fish over the months that managed to eject themselves out of the tank including 2 midas blennies, and a female rhombiod. I still havent built a real canopy yet, but went and bought a piece of egg crate. I found it's really easy to keep 2 large midas blennies as long as you have a tight fitting lid lol. I left the crate off last month for a day and ended up cleaning a midas off the floor -_- They never really fought much, but they always wanna jump when they do kinda chase each other.

Anyhow, onto what my tank is about and future. I'm a fish guy, and corals are more of a side thing for me. I'd say my tank is sorta fowlr, but I do enjoy getting frags and letting them grow. I don't do water changes, and have had excellent luck overall.

the current stock is a little heavy for my liking, but I had planned on putting up the 150g tank I've had sitting in my hallway for half a year, but I jsut havent gotten around to it.

4 1/2" midas blenny

medium sized red mandarin

2 potters wrasse, one around 5inches the other 3.5

a sixline wrasse we bought as a tiny little guy thats now about 1.25inch long,

scooter blenny

flame angel

coral beauty angel

clown wrasse

four line wrasse

false perc that we bought as a real yougin, was about 1/4" long when we first got him,now hes 1 1/2" long Been a joy watching him grow up. He seems to have bonded with my overflow lol Actually we had bought 2 but that was right before that disease broke out and I believe we lose his lil brother. They were so hard to spot in the tank when we first bought them.

red scooter blenny male

super male hawaiian flame wrasse.

Coral wise, some frog spawn, and something similar to it, xenia, multiple zoo colonies that have spread from small frags, mushrooms, and some unknown cheap hard coral I bought 7 months ago.

Other critters, a cleaner shrimp, a really big blue legged hermit, like monster sized compared to a normal, but he is reef safe. I got him as a hitchhiker on a piece of live rock from the seahorse. then a bunch of small blue legged and some mexican reds. I also have a ton of sponge on the rocks that seems to be doing well.

fishtank01.jpg

fishtank02.jpg

I'm using no other filtration, just the 2 koralia and about 17g of sump water and a 20wuv. I'm also just using tap water as I havent replaced the elements in my rodi in about 6 years.

I think I have around 16 hermits and a shrimp so not a whole lot of invert load. I also havent been skimming at all. I did the same thing with my old tank quite a few years ago and never had a issue with it. I have a lot of interesting things growing off the rocks, and I figure some of it has to due with not skimming the water I think. I do run filter bags to catch stuff every now and then but I dont keep up on washing them too good.

I do go through quite a bit of water, probably 5 gallons every 3 days or so I figure maybe a lil more due to no canopy on the tank and having the 30g overflow tank open.

As for dosing, I dont do any, I hate playing mad scientist.

I feed a mix of prime reef flakes, a little nutrifin max spirulina flakes, and frozen mysis