Koran Angel - Emergency

Fast5oranger

I was sold a koran angel by a lfs and was told that this was a reef safe angel. It's been in my tank for two weeks without much of a problem, but i woke up today to find one of my favorite lps corals all shrunken and chewed on. I have since witnessed this fish pecking at it and another very nice-expensive coral. I need this fish out asap. If you come get it out you can have it - any ideas of how to catch this thing before it ruins my tank

You can google how to make a fish trap out of a 2 liter pop bottle, some stores will loan them or rent them (real fish traps that is) but check out the google "make a fish trap"

And let that LFS that next time someone asks about a angel being reef safe, they should check to see that thier cranium is not stuffed up some dark orifice, and if it is "pull their head out"

Angels (except a select few) are not reef safe, they eat SPS polyps or "nip" and well you know the rest of the story

This is the second time that the same guy has sold me fish that ended up being a bad choice. The first time it was a copper banded butterfly that ate my worm rock instantly... I'm Pissed Off

This would be something to post in the member/vendor feedback so others are aware that they should be leary.

This happens, but twice WTH???

This would be something to post in the member/vendor feedback so others are aware that they should be leary.

This happens, but twice WTH???

I agree Brad. I hope this LFS isn't a sponsor because that's just shady. I don't know why a fish store would ethically do that. It's also a poor business decision too because you make like 20 dollars on a fish and lose a customer for life and word gets around in this hobby.

I have a fish trap that Grassi is borrowing that works well. You could get in touch with Grassi to borrow it if needed and as far as the fish I would take it back to the LFS and make him give your money back.

First off I'll agree that the angel being sold as reef-safe was the wrong thing to do.

But I'll play devils advocate on the copperband B-fly:

If they didn't know and you didn't mention you had a "worm" rock it would have been fine.

Though most LFS should have told you about it also so that you would have been warned and known to not buy that item in the future. Which would have stopped you from buying it in the first place.

Sorry for your bad luck. Please do not go back to LFS.

I wish we would stop using the term "reef safe", IMO it is just a made up word. Everyone's reef is different and houses different types of corals. You really should do your own homework and research a fish before purchasing. I have a coral beauty, potters, a pair of regal angels, and a juvi emperator angel (very similar taste in corals as the koran) in my mixed reef. Do they sample corals, sure... but I am ok with taking that chance.

IMO there are very few "absolutely" reef safe fish in this hobby, it is up to us as the hobbyist to decide what we put in our tank

I do think that the store should take back the fish for credit if you can catch it though

Been there for sure, (as far as emptying out a tank for 1 fish) I'd take it in stride and ask if the LFS would be willing to exchange/or credit you for a fish that happened to not work out. But good husbandry involves researching a certain fish prior to purchasing to make good descisions. I've been down the impulse route to though. Good luck Thanks Harold

Everyone knows they should educate themselves before purchasing, but there are a lot of shops that would NEVER sell you that fish as "reef safe". I think you should get your money back with an apology, although I would settle for the money LOL. Most likely you got an inexperienced employe, I can't imagine anyone who knows anything would sell you that fish with out at least a warning.

P.S I for one would love to know what shop it was, maybe return the fish first though LOL

I agree you should educate yourself before buying a fish but isn't that one of the advantages to going to a fish store? You get the benefit of a person's expertise. You get to see the fish in person and get the experience of the person working there. Even in the best case sometimes purchases don't work out and the fish do not get a long together and I have been able to return the fish.

I'm not trying to drop a bomb on anyone... I think this was an honest mistake. the lfs traded me back the fish for more than it was worth, and to say the least, I left a -still- happy customer. Also i've learned a valuable lesson. I had no intentions of naming names, I just wanted opinions on how to catch a fish (and was in a state of panic/frustration as I had to sit and watch a fish eat some expensive colonies).