Kents new salt formula

Harold B

Just tested some Kent. It is NOS from an order about 9 months ago:

Salinity= 1.026 on recently calibrated refractometer.

CA = 475 Elos Test

ALK = 9.5 LaMotte Test

MG = 1500 Salifert Test

Because I have a good batch it does not mean that ALL batches are good. Conversely, as Mandinga pointed out, it should be checked more rigorously.

The kits I use are:

Alk: salifert and Elos

Ca: Elos

Mag: Elos

Salinity: freshly calibrated refractometer(1.0245)

I agree with algae that salts can be inconsistent and should be tested. Everyone has their own personal experiences with every brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always used instant ocean but have recently tried kent in a few tanks. Does anyone else notice that new water knocks the skimmer down temporarily? Even a small amount of new water makes it look like the skimmer is skimming brackish water for awhile. Freshly make salt water or season over 24hrs no difference. Multiple batches

IO never did this

Mandinga - Are your buckets the newer Kent Reef salt or the older Kent marine salt. The newer Reef salt should have higher numbers like Algae posted.

You will also get the higher numbers with a higher salinity, this is the main reason I mix up my salt to 1.026.

• 3 weeks later...

All I use is Kent, never an issue. I do warm the water before adding the salt and don't usually add anything, although I added some iodine last time still no problem. I always toss the bucket a little before opening and evey couple of months. I take a while to go threw a bucket, so I feel like it's mixed better if I roll it some every now and than.

• 2 weeks later...

The new formula is Kent "Reef" salt. The old stuff is Kent "Marine" salt.

As far as I know it is the new stuff...although it could be old...not sure how to tell.

I mix mine at 1.025.

Maybe I got old buckets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk