A Clownfish Spawn

Ron Popeil

i fed them live rotifers. they grew continuously in the fry tank, and i just added phyto twice a day. and with it being so easy to keep them alive and reproduce, i didnt have a need to try a packaged rotifer supply.

does it sound like good growth? i have nothing to compare it to, my slight impatience would have preferred 1" fish after a month. but im satisfied either way.

as for an anemone eating them, i would imagine a bubble tip to have the most inert sting of any of the species of anemone, allowing them to get used to it without being consumed. just a theory.

I've heard they pick up growth after the first month, that the first month is just getting them developed and indepenant. I could be wrong, but thats just what I've heard

My worry about the anemone isn't its sting at all, all my worries are in the mouth. It might not sting them, but its mouth is sure big enough to have an accident, I've seen striped mushrooms eat live chromis, and they don't have much sting to them.

• 2 weeks later...

day 39

wow. hard to believe its already been this long! it went by so incredibly slow the first two weeks. i took some pictures tonight, i tried diligently, but the quality is poor. these fish never sit still. they recognize me as their food source, and so move about excitedly any time i come to see them. i try to feed them three or so times a day. i mashed up some cyclopeeze flake and spirulina flake, and this is what theyve come to enjoy. again, forgive the poor photography.

DSCF0895.jpg

DSCF0906.jpg

DSCF0928.jpg

as i hope you can see, theyve really developed a lot more yellow than i expected. i sort of convinced myself they would turn out as bland as the parents have become, but they are attractive little clowns! two of them are very dominant, butting heads often and chasing each other and everyone else around frequently.

GENERAL UPDATE:

of the three subsequent nests following the five little guys i have now, i have failed. one nest made it some 13 days with some twenty individuals, only to mysteriously die. following nests would hatch in extreme numbers, but withing 48 hours, most if not all would be dead. i dont quite know whats going on, but as always i hope the next nest yields better results. im sort of in the process of redesigning my hatchery closet at the moment for maximum efficiency.

i am concerned about the parents as well. over the course of this last month they have become increasingly shy. they never leave the anemone, and on more than one occasion, ive had to feel around in the anemone for the female because otherwise i would have considered her dead behind the tank somewhere. they appear to be stressed, yet still lay eggs regularly. the female appears to be the most stressed, showing marbled sleep color like pigmentation, and as said earlier, just buries herself deep within the anemone.

any ideas?

I was just curious what your process is with the hatchery tank? Have you tried bleaching the tank and equipment that is in it between batches. It is an old angelfish breeding trick sometime you get a bacteria or something in the tank that will start killing the young fish like that. Just something to try if you are not already doing it.

• 1 month later...

alright so not entirely an exciting update. but an update nonetheless.

day 91

i have two of the original fry left. about two weeks ago, during the course of 12 days i unexpectedly lost two of the remaining five little guys. the only thing i can think of for their sudden demise was aggression. there is one fish who is growing far more rapidly than the others, and i suspect this fish bullied the other two to death. so i separated the weakest of the three, and so far, no more tattered fins or aggressive behavior from the largest guy. sort of bizarre really. but then the third little fish got stuck in the basket i had him in...and died. so now just two left of the oldest.

forgive the photography, but theyre impossible to take pictures of. this is the best i could do, but at least the mass and shape of the fish is easy to discern in comparison to previous pictures.

DSCF1018.jpg

growth seems to have picked up a few weeks ago, but then slowed down. theyre only getting flakes at this point, a mashed up composite of cyclopeeze and spirulina, and now some live baby brine shrimp. the two of them are between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch at this point. they really need to start picking up the pace here.

beyond that, i took about a four week hiatus from the active rearing process. surprisingly enough life got in the way of my hobby for a bit. and after two to three nests with a 100% mortality in the first few days, i put it all on hold.

however, as of now i have about 6 fry who are about 23 days old now. i decided to add an established sponge filter to the tank, and it has helped tremendously with water quality.

so there you have it. any suggestions on foods or any other aspect of this im neglecting?

thanks again everyone for your help.

They are only nitrate factories if they get full of stuff and not cleaned out. about two minutes of active squeezing and smashing in saltwater usually does the trick to get them clean enough without killing off the bacteria cultures.

Good luck with the ones you have left.

dsoz :)

PS I agree with holly- amaizing thread!

They are only nitrate factories if they get full of stuff and not cleaned out. about two minutes of active squeezing and smashing in saltwater usually does the trick to get them clean enough without killing off the bacteria cultures.

Ya, i get that. So then, how do you get a sponge that is "established" if you periodically clean them out? (scratch) :)