Amino Acids

mytshall

I just started dosing the SPS/LPS tank, every other day. Got great polyp extension after I dosed the omega the first time, watched the millies get nice a full!

I dosed 1/2 ml which is equivalent to 7-8 drops in my 150 gal tank the first time. Dosing every other day. Today I dosed 6 drops each (actually measured just drops instead of syringe, then looked up drop to ml ratio and found it to be 15-16 drops to 1ml, so I think I will just keep with 0.5 ml from now on).

I am thinking of measuring my sticks and see how much they grow in a month.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I was going to do this anyway so I might as well document it here. I bought Elos AA and Pro Skimmer a few weeks ago but changed mind about using it, I really don't like "experimenting" on my tank. The tank is six months running and I am extremely happy with its condition except two things, Acro's retaining/losing their color and Acro polyp extension, all other corals are fine.

I know I have a very low nutrient system, there is zero nuisance algae, all Apstasia is gone, my RBTA is pretty weak. I run Ozone, carbon in a reactor/bag in filter sock and an extremely productive skimmer.

I Think I've solved the "color" issue with some bulb changes and settings on my ballast this pic is about two weeks of lighting change, it was totally browned out, also some minor Alk adjust.

colorupacro.jpg

But there is no polyps, now I understand all acro's do not have the same polyp extension so I have listed 24 different acros (just the real sticks) and graded the polyps from 1-5, 1 being the minimum polyp extension

Here is one example

fatstag.jpg

I will go ahead and start the Elos Omega and Pro Skimmer at .5 ml per day (approx 300gal system) and if no change increase by .25 ml per week and record the results of "Polyp Extension" as that's what I read most people say about using this product, that is my only concern right now.

Just a note, phosphates 0.01, Nitrate 0.4, Nitrite 0.001 AWT and Tunze water test

We'll see what happens!

Note: 19 of 24 have a 1 (no polyps)

It could just be that you have to "train" them to open up when lights are on. The feeding and supplementing schedule can help that process.

Most of the people that notice a "great polyp extension" when using products like the Elos omega and pro skimmer are just unconsciously training the sps to open up at a more enjoyable time (for our eyes I mean). They were probably opening up before as well, but during the night

I can add the product at any time, just following along with others that are adding at night. I haven't added any before tonight so this is the starting point. As of right now all is the same with moon lights on.

If time day/night is not an issue I can add the AA and PS in the am before I go to work, what are your thoughts Alex?

Steve

Or early evening

The Omega is an amino acid complex which is supposed to be used as an aid for better absorption of the Elos coral food, the Pro Skimmer.

It is a complex of different elements, that's why it works best with the pro skimmer.

In an ideal situation the sps will open up more when the lights are off. So people tend to drop the products a few minutes before and after light goes off. This will insure you to give your corals the maximum amount of food they can take.

If your goal is a fast growth, go that way.

If you want more polyp extension when you can see it, then drop the products during the day, like in the morning. The sps should slowly open up more during the day.

On a side note for all of us using this product: the warm season is coming. After some readings on an italian forum I suggest you guys to put the Pro Skimmer in the refrigerator during the warm months. It is not mandatory as per instructions (just dark and dry), but it make perfect sense to keep organic food refrigerated.

Well, it is not necessary if you have an AC unit and you keep the house <70-75f

Not sure if it would be good, bad, or indifferent but I just started dosing in the morning before lights on and in the evening just before lights out-I am now dosing about 4-5 times a week which is down from daily.

I use 4 drops of the pro skimmer, and just under 1/2 ml of the AA- which I do twice a day as mentioned above. Prior to the new routine it was 10 drops of the PS and 1 ml of the AA daily.

I am not sure if it is the new bulbs (from Phoenix 250 DE 14K to the 400 watt Radiums) or the larger tank, or what, but my SPS are looking better than they ever have.

My ORA Tri-color is the biggest difference as far as polyp ext, followed close by my Pink Lemonade that really likes the change-