Amino Acids

mytshall

Recently saw grassi was running ELOS Omega and Pro Skimmer which are amino acids and coral foods. Decided I might like to give them a try.

Who else is using these products or other amino acids. In what dosage? Have you seen any actual results?

I have been using the same and I do the low range the directions have.

It works out to be .33 ml of the AA and 4 drops of the skimmer.

My acros are growing at a rate I cant believe-I am actually cutting back since I am moving my tank in a few months.

I actually want them to stop growing so fast-:D

• Like 1

I do about 16 drops of food and 8-10 of ammino right now on 220g heavily skimmed + carbon. I had to start looking for a tank upgrade. My 2 birdnest are now almost touching the glass and the magnet doesn't have room anymore.

Actually I could just find a smaller magnet and keep the tank lol.

Polyp extension is great. I dose ammino a little bit afer lights are on and food after lights go off.

So far no algae or browning sps.

Highly recommended and tested (more than 10 years) product.

I do about 16 drops of food and 8-10 of ammino right now on 220g heavily skimmed + carbon. I had to start looking for a tank upgrade. My 2 birdnest are now almost touching the glass and the magnet doesn't have room anymore.

Actually I could just find a smaller magnet and keep the tank lol.

Polyp extension is great. I dose ammino a little bit afer lights are on and food after lights go off.

So far no algae or browning sps.

Highly recommended and tested (more than 10 years) product.

The amount you are dosing seems much less that the recommended dose I seen online. Are you getting results with a smaller dose?

The amount you are dosing seems much less that the recommended dose I seen online. Are you getting results with a smaller dose?

Yes I do. I've noticed a good polyp extension and a good growth. My sps are looking better with no downsides at now.

I've read many pages on a italian forum where they are using the product since many years and they were all recommending to increase slowly.

Also, the amount suggested is too much: the products are concentrated. My tank is well established, so I have many other sources of food for the corals.

As for most supplements, especially the most recent, it really depends in the specific tank.

I used to use a brightwell amino product and I think I seen results in my solana. My current tank' date=' I have not tried any amino acids yet. I might consider trying out the elos brand and see what I think.[/quote']

I read similar reports on Brightwell.."I think I saw results".

There is no thinking here, this stuff works. I was serious when I said I am stopping using it until I move things to the new 150 gallon, my SPS are growing like crazy and I dont want to cut more frags than I am currently having to.

I too use the low end of the range-or should I say "used to"-;)

Well maybe I will just give this stuff a try. Right now my colors are ok' date=' tank perams are good but growth is less than desirable. On my old solana growth was outstanding and I am keeping the tank in the same way only bigger. If you need to do some fragging, my tank needs some filling.[/quote']

i will be fragging, its just my frag rack is full-I never had an issue with color at all or tank params, I got this after reading a few threads on Aminos and thought I would try-this stuff really does work.

If someone wants their SPS to take off-this will do it, I am certain.

oh and the frags will be plum crazy, purple nana, verde, and pink lemonade-thats a start ;)

I am curious what would happen if you used pharmaceutical grade omega acids. There are quite a few amino acid and vitamin things for health. I think blood has a lot of these things as well.

the unfortunate part about amino's is they vary greatly. the Elos amino's have been formulated to promote polyp extension and mimic the food source of planctonic bacteria in natural seawater. I think you would have a real difficult time feeding amino's of a random bottle of pharmaceuticals to your corals and get the results your looking for. I tried some amino's that was developed for fish and didn't get any response from the corals.

Same thing with using blood in the tank. HGH in trace amounts along with vitamins' date=' amino's, ect. But I'm not willing to stick a needle in my arm to dose my tank every week.[/quote']

HGH seems to works. When frozen it break down into a mixture of amino acids that are working well for corals. Per se, if dosed without freezing, it can't be absorbed by corals.

I don't know what there is inside elos, but it seems to work well.

I keep reading good reviews, it is easy to find and it is working well for me :D

The whole HGH thing is what got me going also, I read alot about Aspartic acid being used in place of the HGH in the Pappone mixture in the "blu-Coral" method or whatever you want to call it. I use the amino's 1 or 2 hrs before lights out and feed moderate to heavy 2 times a week. The directions on the box recommend a max dose according to Elos's forum on RC. I asked them and they said to start slow and didn't recommend following the directions at first (if at all).

The whole HGH thing is what got me going also' date=' I read alot about Aspartic acid being used in place of the HGH in the Pappone mixture in the "blu-Coral" method or whatever you want to call it. I use the amino's 1 or 2 hrs before lights out and feed moderate to heavy 2 times a week. The directions on the box recommend a max dose according to Elos's forum on RC. I asked them and they said to start slow and didn't recommend following the directions at first (if at all).[/quote']

Yes aspartic acid is what is often used. I can presume that it is part of the Elos Omega: Elos is very close to some guys that are experimenting on the reefitalia forum.

The problem of pappone is that it tends to turn your coral brown for an excess of nutrients. It also seem good on some kind of sps (Arborescent) and less on other. It works well, if you are really good at reading your tank response to the feeding cycle.

There are people leaving dead sardines in the sump, so they can release food and amino acids like Leucine. A few drops from a bottle is easier, even if less effective :D

I agree, most of us that watch our tanks constantly and through a number of different scenarios can notice even the smallest change I have been using MB7 when needed (which isn't verry often) and Bio-fuel to keep the nutrient levels in check and it seems to be workin great. I do however have a brand new bottle of L-aspartic acid but just got kinda nervous going that far out on a limb since no one I know has used it and I would be in effect experimenting on my tank?

• 3 weeks later...