I got my German Aquarium Controller (Profilux)!

siskiou

I don't really know all that much about the other options.

The Profilux attracted my attention because it can run the Tunze pumps without the Tunze controllers, has LED accessories that are run over 1-10V interface (so it doesn't need a regular outlet), can run dimmable T5 and T8 bulbs (I'll have to get some ballasts from them to make my Tek light dimmable), moonphase, clouds, rainy days, lightning storms etc.

It's expandable with WLAN, Redox, more interfaces/outlets etc.

All connected Profilux outlets can be configured about a million ways, depending what you want to connect to them.

And I'm kind of hoping the good old German quality still exists! ;)

Right now I have the basic package (pH, temp probe, Tunze1 cable, water level sensor, one power bar, computer software, serial cable) plus a moonlight/sunrise/lightning LED stick that the Profilux controls.

It's new moon, though, so not much to see at night, but I turned it up manually to see the coloration at 3am last night.

I worked until midnight and then couldn't resist setting it up before going to sleep.

Had a nice little lightning storm, too, just to see what it looks like.

German aquarists are obviously really into the "natural weather simulation"!

It seems a lot of them use the controller for their Discus tanks.

I'm on a German forum for this controller, and there is a lot of good advice out there, plus the controller is actively being improved, with downloadable new firmware coming out every few months.

Plus the developer asks for opinions about what options should be added/changed/improved etc.

PS: I'll post some pics once I've uploaded them!

yeh.. a big tank thread over at RC had the first one in N america with our power voltage, and stuff. ever since i saw it, i was hooked. anyways.. if you dont mind me asking how much everything ran you, and where you got it?

gonna get one soon.

ps.. how many hugs can you hold in that cage? :p lol

Of course, there is always more that *could* be added! ;)

I just wanna point out something that is really funny to me and happens to every reefer. I remember not too long ago when our good friend Siskou was worried about the cost of setting up a 75. We all finally convinced here to go with a 120 and look at her now! :) Nice controller, we will need a full review by the end of the week. Where did you order it from? Thanks Ryan

Well, I'm rich now! :D

I wish, but I did get a second job last summer, specifically to finance a larger tank.

I'm still looking for the best deals, but I'm planning on sticking with this specific tank and equipment for a long time!

A few more weeks of working two jobs on WEdnesdays and Thursdays and I should be all paid up! :)

I keep finding more stuff and adding more time to the job, though.

I got the Profilux from aquariumspecialty.com (the basic package), but only took one of the power bars, since they are coming our with new digital ones with 6 outlets at the end of the month.

I added a SIMU Moonlight instead.

ps.. how many hugs can you hold in that cage? lol

Only one! ;)

It's one of our three rescue bunnies, who take up about a third of our living room.

Then there are the two aquariums. We humans just have to find a little corner somewhere!

A bigger house would be nice, but I'd have to work my little extra job for eternity to pay for that!

Cmon more info' date=' you got my attention please don't leave me hangin'![/quote']

Ask questions!

Oh, and here is a pretty informative thread on a Canadian forum:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26797

Maybe that helps?

The manual is also online in english, but I can't for my life find it right now.

You could also download the Control software and look at it in simulation.

I'll post a link once I find that.

Yikes.. for a non tunze owner its spendy' date=' if I was looking at tunze though... I may go that route, wonder if they will make one that will interface with the vortecs...[/quote']

That would be great if there were other pumps that are controllable via interface.

At first I was mystified what these interfaces even are (they take a cable that looks like the american phone cables).

I'm hoping the Tunze nano stream (6055) will be controllable by the Profilux.

They run a bit cheaper and they are a lot smaller than the regular Tunzes, with enough power for my size tank.

I guess I can now sell my single controller for the Tunze.

And my old moonlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! This is my first time here and I really enjoyed reading about Siskou's new lighting system. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 46g bowfront. I'm very new to the hobby and am finding that lighting systems are very expensive. . . . and, I'm not going to get a second job!!! Hahaha. Do you mind me asking what you paid for that system that you have? I need to get something soon. Any suggestions for a beginner? I'm interested in lights that make my water shimmer. Thanks. .