xbox 360 issue

stylaster

Yes, the drives are keyed to the unit and replacement is a pain. You have to match the drive manuf and copy the key out of NVRAM on your old drive and into the replacement. There are some guides on the net, but they're pretty sketchy and Microsoft squashes them (and the key copy software) pretty quickly.

The DVD failed in my first 360. I found a guy in Beaverton (via Craigslist, lmk if you want his contact info) who replaced the drive for me for like $50 or so... and my box RROD a couple of weeks later, a month or so out of extended warranty :( I just ended up buying a new 360 Arcade and swapping the HD over. It was worth it to get the new architecture and reduced die size CPU, the new ones run a lot cooler.

My friend is probably the guy in Beaverton most people are referring to. The problem youll run into now is that what was a simple new drive and "spoof flash" is now detected by microsoft. It is worth it at this point to just get a new arcade or change the drive and stay off line. If you go on and microsoft finds your spoofed drive or a drive that doesn't match you will be banned anyway so you'll still be in the same boat. Drives can be had for around $30 to $40 on ebay if you just want to do it yourself. I have bought a few BenQ drives for that price.

Yah there is only about 509 to choose from I guess it would be impossible to actually play a game.

But hey, you can surf the web, stream music, pictures, and movies from any computer wirelessly and it has a blueray player. Oh yah, USB ports so you can plug in external stuff. And I can swap out the hard drive too, without being banned from playing online. Its actually supported by Sony!!

I know i know, that still doesn't stand up to the HDDVD player that doesn't work, or the pay to play online service, or the red ring of death. Do they even make HD DVDs anymore? Surely they will put the Halo movie on HD DVDs for you 360 folks so you can watch it right?

:p