Largest in sump pump you trust?

tidalsculpin

So, I am thinking of upgrading my sump pump, but want to keep the new pump submersed. What is the biggest internal sump you people recommend? List attributes you like.

Ehiem? Rio? Mag? Quiet one? others? List model you like too.

Oh, and I am currently running a rio 2500.

This is for a sixty, 20 gal sump and 48 inches up and over the overflow.

I really like my Eheim 1262 (900 GPH) They are super quiet and can be run in-sump or external. A very well put together pump. They are a little epxensive though. I used to have a Mag 12 and it worked good. I really havent heard too many bad things about Mag's. Later Ryan

the 2400 in not enough , the 4100 isn't much better, and there noisy I have about 9 2400, and 3 4100 around here. So I know, I am thinking eheim. but I haven't used anything but the gen x pumps,so I cannot say for sure on the others. I am going to change mine out.

I hear so many good things about Eheim, if you have the $$ go with them. I have used a mag 9.5 for awhile as well as a GenX 2400 for my returns. Both ran semi-quiet and did their job. I had a problem after 30days with the GenX but PCI made good and fixed it for me.

The only thing I can say bad about the Eheim.... they are so quiet I cant hear them at all. So good and bad thing, but I really like it. I unplug mine and when I plug it back in Im not always sure it turns on, other than checking for flow.

Before i would think about pump size, i would first ask you what kind of skimmer you are running. You really want to match your return pump with the amount of water that your skimmer can process..........not that we can realistically process 100% of the water being returned to the tank without undergoing some serious water routing and sump design.........but we can get pretty close fairly easily if we think about it a little. The goal is to send as little unskimmed water back to the tank as possible.

A couple of opther things to keep in mind are if you run a chiller or canister filter for carbon or phosban ETC. I like to T off of my return pumps, then T off of that again, and you end up with your return pump accomplishing the task of 3 pumps.

I think all of these questions need answered and you make your return pump size decision based on that.

The chiller and canister filter issues are WAY scondary......it makes it nice but it is important that your return pump IS matched to your skimmer for an efficient set up IMO.

I like mags too.