Welcome to PNWMAS

We are looking forward to the beginning of these interactive Sections dedicated to the Hatfield Marine Science Center (HMSC) and Oregon Coast Aquarium (OCAQ) in Newport, Oregon. An introduction, along with posting guidelines, will be added be added by HMSC very soon!

The OCAQ section is being set up in a similar way, although a moderator from the Aquarium has not yet been chosen. We have left the Oregon Coast Aquarium Section much like it is now, until it can be discussed further with them. These areas are being set up in hopes that a closer relationship can be established. We should be seeing activity from HMSC at any time, and from OCAQ in the near future. Thanks for your patience. In the meantime, I am asking that questions about the upcoming tours and BBQ be posted in the Meeting and Events area http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

In this way our hosts may set up the areas in the most effective way for optimal use of these sections!

To everyone involved, thank you for your patience. This has been in discussion, and in the planning stage for a very long time. It is good to see it finally coming to pass!

• 3 months later...

An Update!

Dennis Glaze sent me an update awhile back about the HMSC Tropical Tank.

Dennis says the aquarium is doing pretty good, mostly algae problems (go figure). He will be shortening the halide light period. The refugium is doing very well. The macro algae is growing like gangbusters. He is working on getting some cleaning crew animals for the main tank. They have received most of their new systems and lab cabinets were delivered and installed. (Post some pics Dennis!)

I'm sorry that have not had the opportunity to further help organize a trip to Hatfield yet this Summer. My family has had some medical emergencies, and we will be moving to Sherwood around August 1st. My wife will be back in the hospital about that time for another surgery. We can still have a trip to Newport with our maintenance team, even if I am unable to attend this time.