Best way?

TAD

What is the best way to clean a used tank? I bought a 40breeder that was used for fresh water. It has a very hard scum line on it. I soaked it for 5 or 6 days and its still not coming off and its starting to um um make me mad.

Thank you for any input.

Vinegar will take care of hard water lines.

If that does not work, and you are into dangerous things, get some muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) from Home Depot. It is NASTY stuff, and if you decide to go this way, PM me so I can give some safety instructions.

dsoz

• Like 1

Most of the time I use hot water and white vinegar. This works well for me. If it is really tough I use muriatic acid available a HD or lowes. It is usually outside in the outside section. If you use the muriatic acid just be sure to wear a face shield, rubber gloves and do not breathe the fumes. With both make sure you rinse well. Hope this helps.

Shane

Shoot Andy and Dennis beat me to it, dang!!!!!

• Like 1

Just thinking... A solution of vinegar and salt makes a little bit of hydrochloric acid. It is stronger than vinegar alone, but not as strong as muriatic acid. Then you can also use the extra salt crystals to help scrub into the glass. Don't scrub with an acrylic tank.

dsoz

Muriatic works on acrylic in doses of around 40 parts water to 1 part acid... if you go this route don't be shy diluting it.

FWIW dsoz, muriatic acid is another work for hydrochloric acid, the distinction usually being made for either molar strength or intended use (consumers who are afraid of the word hydrochloric ion their pools for example).

• Like 1

Vinegar will take care of hard water lines.

If that does not work, and you are into dangerous things, get some muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) from Home Depot. It is NASTY stuff, and if you decide to go this way, PM me so I can give some safety instructions.

dsoz

Krux- I know that they are the same thing (see post above). I teach chemistry to high schoolers for a living. :)