Coral prices

gmiller

Until now I have had FOWLER tanks but have now increased my lighting a bit and would like to have a few corals, zoos and palys, so I have looked around the net a bit and discovered prices in the range of $10, $20, $30 per polyp. When you add from $35 to $52 shipping you get what I consider a price that takes this hobby from expensive to outrageous. It may be that I'm a bit out of touch, or maybe I've entered my old fart years where I think everything is just too expensive. I would like to trade corals but can't do that until I have something to trade, so I have to buy my way in. Bought my first frag from a LFS on Sunday for $15.00 and thought that was reasonable. I would like to know what you think, am I all wet thinking that corals are a bit overpriced,and are there people I can buy small frags from to get a start? Gary.

I think corals are over priced too. Even though I just put in $272 order and am only getting 4 frags for a total of 16 polyps. But the problem is naming, IMO. I have actually found Purple Hornet Zoa's which have gone for more than $100 per polyp, listed as purple with yellow ring zoa's 40 polyps $40 bucks. It is all in the names. What makes that stupid is I can have same coral you have, but difference in lighting will make difference in color, which in turn makes difference in price.

Like everything else, corals are worth what people are willing to pay for them.

The prices for current fad corals are always astronomical, but as new corals become popular the old ones drop in price... they're still just as beautiful as they always were, it's just that the collectors and speculators have moved on to the next big thing. Patience is rewarded ;-)

I started slow. I to have nothing to trade because nothing has grown enough to frag. I do how ever watch the "for sale thread" be prepared to be fast if you see some thing!and stop into the local shops looking for inxpensive but pretty frags. Most have tanks that start as low as $5-$10.

I agree with Andy' date=' You do get what you pay for. Occasionally you will find very nice inexpensive corals, but best philosophy is the more you spend....the more you will like.[/quote']

Nah! some of my favorite corals I have paid very little for and traded for with members. Keep your eye on the boards and be willing to help and trade with others when you can and it will pay off. Many of the shops will break off a small frag and sell for a great price if you ask nicely :)

I picked up 30 or so polyps of a real bright green and orange meteor shower from Upscales the other week for a great price! Deals are out there....the hunt is fun!

I agree with Markdadof2, I enjoying the "free xiena" I was greatful to recieve from him and Doz. I have bought many small frags and look daily for changes.But still watch them the most. Not to mention all the time they spent giving helpful information. Very large expensive corals are for those with LOADS of money.

Life is about enjoying what you have and watching it grow.