Skunk Clown Question

albertareef

I have three pink skunk clowns I got from Garrett a few weeks ago and just noticed that the medium sized one (presumed male) has developed orange highlights on the very edge of his dorsal fin and tail (sorry, don't think I can get a pick). I swear it wasn't there before... wondering what is up with that (scratch).

A little bit odd, but kind of sounds cool to me. Haven't brung those in for a while so I haven't been able to see or study a phenomenon like that. Could be something normal for males.:confused:

Or maybe it is amphiprion nigripes, which is not a skunk, but very similar and has yellowish orange fin and tail. He should have black fins on the bottom if so, and could possibley take a while to show up if small.

Ricky Soutas Jr.

-Soutas Saltwater & Reef Inc.-

Thanks Ricky - definitely pink skunks though.

Actually... I think I found the answer here:

The Pink Skunk Clownfish are the very few species which can be definitively sexed by colour alone. Mature males show a fine orange rim around the tail which is absent in the females.

Guess I should have looked a little harder before posting DOH! Sounds like this guy is just "growing up"

Yeah - that was the original presumption just based on size alone but it looks like he agrees with that assessment at this point! Interesting as I didn't know there was any sexual dimorphism in the clowns... then again' date=' I haven't had that many. :D[/quote']

I mean this in an educational mode only. Not meant rude or mean. (Sorry I rewrote it several times, and still sounded kinda rude)

Technically, a color difference between sexes is sexual dichromatism. Sexual dimorphism is a difference is size, shape, or ornamentation (horns, atlers, etc).

I mean this in an educational mode only. Not meant rude or mean. (Sorry I rewrote it several times, and still sounded kinda rude)

Technically, a color difference between sexes is sexual dichromatism. Sexual dimorphism is a difference is size, shape, or ornamentation (horns, atlers, etc).

Busted! No worries Doran, I realized I messed that up after I posted it but haven't had a chance to go back and fix it until now. You beat me to it :D

Doran you're a nerd!!!!;)