Glueing frags: A discussion

kriswaters

Ok...

I suck at this! Is it something that just takes practice? I have tried a million and one things...a bit of glue, a medium amount of glue, a lot of glue, gel-cyanoacrylic, liquid cyanoacrylic...(scratch)

I have tried glueing them to small plugs of "mighty putty" then glueing those to the rock while it is still soft...and yet.....

BAM!!! A slight bump and off they go! Next disscussion...how to get a frag out of a tight spot! ARRRRRGGGGGGG! (flame)

I have heard a lot about IC gel...and then I have seen a bunch on dollar store stuff. What I really, really, really want? Someone who's a pro to come glue my FRAGS! No JK...I guess input and information would be good.

Kris

I prefer frag disks to plugs. What I do is:

1: Mix up a gumball-sized lump of aquamend epoxy

2: Put a squirt of gel cyanoacrylate glue onto the bottom of the frag disk

3: Put the ball of epoxy onto the CA glue

4: Put another squirt of CA onto the top of the epoxy ball

5: Push the disk down onto the live rock and hold it there for a minute or so

6: All done

The CA glue holds everything together nicely until the epoxy sets up.

One extra nice thing about this is if the frag doesn't live, you can just pop the frag disk off and the epoxy stays behind as a nice platform for a new frag. Just CA the new frag down onto it.

I use the IC-GEL, put the tube in the tank, squeeze a ball it will turn into a balloon. best to find a hole in the rock, get it to stick to the rock. then do the same with the coral, push them together and twist. if it doesnt work the first time you can uasually scrape it and try again

Its really not that hard especially if you have pieces of rock that you can take out.

Perhaps this would be a good meeting or workshop topic at someones home. I could provide plenty of small pieces for people to try

I agree I also cannot take out rock, but you can always add smaller pieces. another way is to take old rock, break it into small pieces or rubble and attach your frags to that then glue or wedge the rocks into place. it looks more natural and rock is easier glued into place than frags

I agree with you 100% Mark. I need to kick the kids out when I try to glue frags! I do think that the most success I have had is to glue the frag to a soft piece of putty then glue the putty to the rock. I still find that they knock over easy as well! To bad encrustation doesn't happen overnight! If everything could be like the clam and just wrap its filaments around the rock in 15 minutes....then the turbos and urchins could go happily about their business!

It would be fun to have a group practice session...trying different types of glue and such. I guess will need a good supply of acetone to remove left over glue!

Kris

BSI IC-Gel is great stuff! (I assume you are only gluing frags. Large pieces need epoxy.)

A few things that will help-

1. Look for a rough spot where you can glue the frag. If you try to glue to a smooth area, like on coraline the glue has a harder time of staying. The rough areas allow the glue something to gain purchase on.

2. Take a tooth brush to the area of rock you are gluing to scrub away the slime and detritus.

3. Use large globs of glue. As you have noticed, when you place the glue in the water it forms a film around glob. So, once you place the piece down, work it around on the rock for a moment to break the film bubble that formed around the glue. This allows some of the fresh glue to release onto the rock.

Good luck, hope this helps!

BSI IC-Gel is great stuff! (I assume you are only gluing frags. Large pieces need epoxy.)

A few things that will help-

1. Look for a rough spot where you can glue the frag. If you try to glue to a smooth area, like on coraline the glue has a harder time of staying. The rough areas allow the glue something to gain purchase on.

2. Take a tooth brush to the area of rock you are gluing to scrub away the slime and detritus.

3. Use large globs of glue. As you have noticed, when you place the glue in the water it forms a film around glob. So, once you place the piece down, work it around on the rock for a moment to break the film bubble that formed around the glue. This allows some of the fresh glue to release onto the rock.

Good luck, hope this helps!

PERFECT (clap) (clap) (clap)

Blaine' date=' I will take a tube or two! PS, hows the tank coming along?[/quote']

I'm still working on it. Rock has been cooking 3 months now bringing it back from dead to live. Getting my 75gal all glass drilled for the sump next week. Have any updated pic's of yours???