Hey Mr. S my school tank in Eugene is up and running!

Hey, you remember me in June? I was at the Advanced store when you came in. We chatted and I bought some salt. My tank has been cycling all summer in my classroom. I am ready to get a few fish and corals. 6 line wrasse and green chromis will be my first selections I think. I got a great deal on live rock in Eugene- 3 monster pieces of tonga and fiji.

How have your tanks faired over the summer?

From another teacher with a tank in the valley. Joel Lavin- Madison MS. Eugene

Well. Lets see some pics of this tank.... Im curious as too what you have and what your plans are with the tank and what you will be focusing on with the students? If your ever in a bind just ask there is a few of us close by that are alway happy to help.. Cough cough.. SPAYNE!

lots to teach!

Well my plans are to:

get kids into the organisms- so they can see more life in the ocean than fish.

introduce ecosystems and some basic ecology concepts

water quality!!!- I always do quite a bit of work in this area and aquariums are a natural for this. Now I can even check calcium, phosphates and more. We used to walk to the Willamette from our school and do water samples every week for three months. Our shorter periods don't allow this so now we can test in the classroom.

teach responsibility and aquatic husbandry concepts

Last year I had a cichlid tank in my classroom. That went quite well and I had kids helping me all year long. Many thought it was saltwater. This year I want them to understand saltwater ecosystems teem with life beyond 15 color and very aggressive fish.

As soon as I get in my room on Monday I'll take some pics of the rock and my sump setup.

Hey sorry I did not see this post sooner. In the future pm me. I try to look at that every day. My tanks did great over the summer. I got a great deal on a 1/2 hp chiller from Pacific Coast right Talk to you later. On my way to the BBQ....pm me.

Get a couple of more chromis. When they are in groups of 3 they have a tendency of 2 picking on one. If you can make the drive to Albany some afternoon it would be worth the trip. Bring a cooler and lots of baggies. I can also show you what it going on with my tanks. Let me know ahead of time though because I might want you to run an errand for me.......heh heh heh.

That was the original idea. I think I'll get some more chromis next week. I have one really small one and two one inchers. The bigger one incher bugs the little one incher and the smallest one hangs off to the side. Not exactly a shoal. I love this little decorator goby I picked up. He is already taking good care of the sand too. Found a small brittle/ serpent star today. very cool. Showed one of my incoming 6th graders at my info session on the school. Got some good oos and ahhs. Can't believe school starts Wednesday!

Should be fun!

• 3 weeks later...