Tank For Paralyzed Grandfather???

downhill_biker

Please give me any input you have on this. I am having mixed feelings and need others' help.

Just visited my grandfather in Seattle, he is paralyzed from the chest down, but has a good amount of use of his arms and hands after rehabilitation. He gets around the house with an electric wheel chair and feeds himself, talks, brushes his teeth, hair, shaves, ect...

I showed him pictures of my tank and he was very excited. He used to raise freshwater fish and always thought a saltwater tank would be very cool. We started looking around at different things he would need, as well as corals and fish.

Then he wanted to know if he could make money at this, just by selling on Reef Central and other online forums. He doesn't want to make a lot, just have a 55-75-90 gallon tank and sell corals out of it, as a small side business. Does this seem like something he could do? I told him, maybe I was being over excited, that if he got into the high end corals and was willing to ship, he could probably make $500-$1000 a month. Is that even possible in that small of a system. I was thinking that he could focus on zoanthids and SPS if he so chose.

What does everyone else think?

Then there's the dealing with the unhappy customer aspect.I tried running a side business selling racing souvenirs,memorabilia & such just to feed my own habit & gave up the e bay part of it because of the hassles with shipping & people not being able to read & follow directions.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking about an all-in-one unit. I will have to contact him again and see what he says. I agree that slowing down and seeing if he likes it would be good, and then starting to get into the "mini business part". As far as taking care of the tank, he seems really interested. I have sent him lots of links to some good reading and we will see if he gets a hold of it quickly. His wife is at home with him all day every day, as well as people that wake him up, dress him, and put him to bed. His wife should be able to help with the "hands on" stuff. I will talk to him again, but I am wondering if I got him too excited, and he heard what he wanted to hear, and not too much about the hard parts of the hobby.

not to mention that it is like a test drive in a new car. People buy on impulse then shortly after have a change of heart. Give it a few days at least and toss the subject by him a couple times. See if his interest is consistant before you make a decision. That is just my opinion. If you do set it up the offer stands for frags.

Grandpas love their grandsons. Common interests generate more discussion and time with each other. Like other things impulse buying might come back and bite you. I would suggest a nano with a clown and anemone, maybe some zoos and in 6 months re-evalute however smaller tanks are harder to keep care of. Not as forgiving as a larger tank. Just my 2 cents.

My eldery mom with limited ability lives for her dogs. They keep her moving what she can and it is good for the mind. I believe that with the help of others it just might work. I think see if he enjoys the tank, care, learning first. If that gives him enjoyment than he can decide on going further.

Beckie