Sustainable Sushi in PDX

JManrow

I heard about this today, and had to share it :

Bamboo Sushi is the first certified, sustainable sushi restaurant in the United States, and in located in Portland!(rock2) http://www.bamboosushipdx.com/

Our Goal: With 67% of seafood in the United States being consumed in restaurants, we believe it is imperative to create a restaurant where people can get the freshest and best fish possible, while simultaneously helping to save the oceans and marine life.

We are partnered with: Marine Stewardship Council, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Blue Ocean Institute, Salmon Nation, KidSafe Seafood, and the Green Restaurant Association.

Bamboo Sushi relies on findings from Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx

Bamboo Sushi

310 S.E. 28th Ave

Portland, OR 97214

Phone (503) 232-5255

Hey, should I ask if they want to be a PNWMAS Sponsor?

Maybe they would give discounts to members.(hungry)

This is a very important first! It makes me wonder what criteria have to be met to be certified as sustainable? I'm going to go eat there and maybe I can talk to the owner about it. Being in the food industry for the last 10 years, I have seen the word "sustainable" kicked around a lot. I'll give a full report after i go talk to them.

I will definitely check them out this weekend!! I can't have to much sushi, or seafood in general! Bob are you or were you a chef? I was a chef briefly, went through culinary school and the works, but just couldn't deal with working all night and weekends, and never being paid what was deserved. Needless to say I thoroughly enjoy cooking and consider myself blessed to live in such a foodie city.

Sustainable is definitly being kicked around a lot and especially with the whole farm to table movement. As far as sustainable seafood, i'm guessing they are placing an emphasis on farmed fish and seafood, avoiding all the fish on the avoid list, and purchasing their fish from fisherman using sustainable methods, i.e. line caught. It will be interesting to watch the development of farmed fish, hopefully they can get it down to more of a science in which way to minimize the effect on the environment. As of right now farmed salmon for instance, are devastating the environment, and the ecosystem in which they are being raised. Also a filet of farmed salmon has more carcinogens than a pack of cigarettes, so keep that in mind when choosing whether or not to order that salmon or purchasing it from the store. Some things are just meant to be consumed seasonally, nothing better than a line caught wild salmon filet. Yes it does cost more, but it should. Hopefully they can refine there fish farming methods to minimize the impact on the local ecosystems where they are being raised. I will definitely have a chat with the chef/owner when I head down there, because this interests me greatly. They are taking a step in the right direction though thats for sure.

Highly recommend them.

FWIW I have hundreds of the brand new 2009 seafood watch pocket cards if someone wants to grab some for a meeting. My company triple shipped them to me. Even with 1100 students to give them out to, I have several hundred left over. PM me if interested, I can mail them to someone.