The battle has begun - die redbugs die AEFW!!!

impur

Started my battle yesterday. I'm using a 10gal tank for QT lit by a 70w 10k DIY MH light, my pinpoint pH monitor on it, 50watt marineland heater controlled by a single stage Ranco temp controller, a MJ1200 and a minijet for circulation. I ended up not going with the PVC overflow and 10gal sump. I only have about 7 small golf ball size colonies and a handful of frags so i think 10gal should suffice with weekly WCs. I'll be monitoring alk and calcium daily for a full month. All montis will remain in the display since they are unaffected by both redbugs and AEFW.

I started by removing all my acros from the display. This involved some chiseling and breaking up my favorite rock (which i hope to replicate with DIY rock soon). Then the acros went in a 2X strength TMPCC (Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure) for 15 min. It was great to see the AEFW peel off the acros, wriggle in pain and ultimately die at the bottom of the container. I've lost 2 colonies and about 4 frags to these bastages to date. The redbugs detach and float to the surface in about 10 min. I did some examining and did not find any eggs, but i'm sure they are there. I covered some of the receeded skeleton with superglue just in case.

After the dip and transfer to the QT all the acros were sliming like crazy. All lightened up a bit in color. After about an hour in the QT my O tort was showing PE again, as well as a few other frags so that was promising. This morning most of the acros had decent PE, not as good as normal, but anything at this point is a plus. I will continue to dip weekly for 4 weeks with the final week doing 2 dips. Then everything will go into my new 75gal i hope to have finished by then!

I'll post a few pics tonight and try to keep this updated. I hope it helps someone who might be infected with these buggers.

Nice update, however you sure did wait a long time to start. LOL, just kidding. Good luck, I hope it all works out in the long run. When you get done we will have to do another frag party with cultered sps, we wil get ya all stocked up!

A couple did but most browned out, I have changed some things in my tank and, honestly, most prior to the change browned out, now that I have changed a few things the colors in alot of the acros are coming back, but those are not for the most part, but I am waiting it out. The SPS that was a nice light blue is starting to turn neon green for some reason, so Im just watching now, I strated feeding phyto and rodi's, today I will start with live brine shrimp.

FWIW, your odds of beating the aefw's would greatly improve if you would cut all of those corals off just above the dead spots, toss everything below, blow the **** out of them and scrape off any eggs you see with a knife,(which shouldnt be any as you just cut them off, but just in case you see anything funny) and glue over the scars..........

The hardest thiung about these aefw's is we dont really know their gestation period and the majoriuty of them are too small to see, you can blow the majority if not all of them off of the live animal but the dead parts of the coral and the rocks are a crap shoot as far as eggs and worms. I *think* i beat them but it was a 6 week process with levamisole and doing what i described above. I did lose a lot, but saved more than half of my corals........*knock on wood*, and of the ones i saved the majority of which are frags off of colonies and/or a lot shorter than they started.............

Just thought i would throw that out there.............

hey here a idea u and nyles split it ill send u both freebies

WOW, seriously? I would be happy to split, thats a very generous offer. Let me know when you plan to do this and give me a call... I will help you however I can.

Thanks guys, thanks Jody thats really generous of you.

Of all these corals the ones i hate to lose the most are the tricolor, O tort, and blue mille.

fly guy - i hear what you are saying. But it still comes down to the fact that there is no way to find all the eggs. So even if i cut them all up, i will inevitably miss a batch of eggs. The idea is that i'll kill off all the live FW with the dip. Then over the course of the week, the eggs i missed will hatch. These will begin to feed on the acros, some may lay eggs or no eggs will be laid, no way to tell. I will dip again killing all the live ones. Eventually the number of eggs being laid will decrease, and in turn the amount of live FW laying the eggs will decrease until i get them all. Thats my reasoning behind it, not sure if its going to work as i have not found any documented procedure like i am doing here.

Thanks, i've subscribed to that one. I think i've subscribed and read every single thread on these guys at RC. I'm hoping that Borneman's experiments come out with a decent treatment that doesn't harm the corals as much as the ones we currently have.

Currently is seems most ppl are using lev treament or betadine.

i think i can cover all those frags bud so do what u need to ive got backups for ya if need be plus ill send others for 40 shipping would cover a large box probly 12-15 frags u guys can split up and this way if anything ever happens to mine ill know ware to get replacements and on the business side good advertisement maybe folks will see yours and want to buy some lol but i hate to see this and im in the position to help so I will because i know you'd do the same for me:D

Did dip #2 last night, a day later than i wanted to but oh well. I swapped 10gal tanks so i could clean them out very well, i don't want any stragglers in there when i do a WC. This time i headed to Fred Meyer to get a better dipping container, i'd like to dip them all at the same time while using as little of the TMPCC as possible, the stuffs expensive!

So i brought home one of those ice containers, the ones you dump the ice out of the ice trays into. Worked great! I had to split it up into 2 groups, so the whole dip process took me 30 min at 15min each group. I used ~4gal of water from the display and ~5 gal NSW as my makeup water. This time around i did not see any AEFW on the corals, although i did not examine them in the dip as closely as the last dip. After getting all the acros back into QT, they slimed up again. But within an hour or so began to show some good PE. They don't look any worse after this dip so thats good.

3 more weeks to go!!

Thanks to Jody for the frags, Miles thanks for posting new info. Now lets get to the good stuff. For those that don't know (Me) I FW dip my corals prior to intruducing into a system as long as they don't looked stressed, but I have not used the top marine product. I assume that fw dipping will not remove red bugs, other than intercept and tmpcc dips. So I should not be doing my fw dip and just qt and watch?

What are others doing that actually take action? I have read of many different suggestions, fw dip, tmpcc, and just simply qt. I will probably not do anyhting til end of the year when I order new bulbs, then I will just get 3 of the same t-5's for the QT tank to match what I have in the display.

I have a qt tank and pumps for fish, no filter or lights yet. So QT for my SPS is not quite ready yet.

Actually they don't seem to mind much. I had a coral with some white bugs on it, dipped him in for about 2 minutes, the bugs were dead and floating at the surface. put the sps back in the main tank and all was fine, PE came back about 1 hour later.