Hammer trouble

rmhuntley

so I went and looked at my hammer coral today, and it appears to be melting. the only thing that has changed is thismorning I came down and found the water temp up to 85deg(scary), so I unpluddeg the heater, killed the lights, and let the temp drop back down to just under 80deg. I turned the lights on and everything looked a little pissed off, which I figured was due to the heat. I come back an hour later and see bits of my hammer falling off. so do any of you guys think the heat was what did in my hammer? also, should I remove it, or see if it will heal itself? I"m kinda pissed cause my clown just started hosting it as well.

You say that a Clown just started hosting in it? I've heard that some Torches get annoyed if a Clown tries hosting (I've also heard of some Torches that don't care). Maybe there's a connection?

One head of my Hammer just did something similar. It died and melted to nothing over the course of a day. The other head? It's happy, has grown a second mouth and is splitting. In my case, I don't think the death was related to anything environmental since the other head is perfectly fine. Weird stuff.

I doubt it was heat, my tank has been hovering abour 84 mid days and when we had the heat was at 89 at one point and I did not lose anything. it could be the clown...are you sure it not reproducing, one way hammers reproduce is to drop little pieces of themselves off and let them float away...but if you say its melting then I doubt it is that.