Powerhead Question

racefan

I have a powerhead question.I'm looking at powerheads for my 29 gal Biocube(not set up yet).The Koralia nano puts out 240gph The Koralia 1 puts out 400gph or the Maxi-Jet 1200 puts out 295gph.Do you think the Koralia 1 is too much flow? I don't want to put corals in & have them over powered by water flow.

Koralia also makes a nano (240gph) that may work. Or maybe two nanos to get flow from different directions. If you do not plan on keeping SPS corals you may want to go with less flow and then add some later if you do not feel you have enough. LPS and soft corals seem to open up better in lower currents. IME

Also, the TYPE of flow is different. With a MJ, the flow is more concentrated in a stream, I believe that a Koralia has a stream that is more diffuse and gentle.

Think the difference between a sprinkler and a power washer. Maybe not as dramatic of difference, but you get the point. I would use the K-nano myself.

dsoz

Or you could buy 1 maxijet and start with leather corals. Then when you get more of a feel for taking care of a reef aquarium you can always turn the maxijet into a difuse type powerhead with the maxijet mod kit and have a powerhead that will work for a bigger tank....because if you are just getting into the hobby......you WILL be getting a bigger tank.... and buying more powerheads...... and more coral types....skimmer.....halides.....more rock.....trust me...your 29 will not be enough:D. Or you could just buy a goldfish bowl and save thousands of dollers.

Just kidding....hehehe...yea any of those powerheads you mention would work fine...hehehe

Jay

Oh boy...too much coffee