Sun Coral

Smann

Never had much luck in the past trying to keep a sun coral. I aquired this one through a trade about 6 months ago, it was about half the size with the heads spread out on the rock. It has filled in and all the growth on the bottom is new

I have been using Reef Nutrition products (scratch) and waiting until late when it comes out then feeding the tank Cyclop-eeze which it really fills up on

Either that or I just got lucky this time :D

suncoral-1.jpg

I know they have to be fed and in the past I have tried to target feed them without much luck. This one is right below where I feed my fish, I turn off the powerheads so the food stays in the area around it while the fish are feeding. The polyps open right around feeding time (9pm) and you can see it picking up pieces as it closes and opens back up. After that I feed the tank Cyclopeeze every other day and it really goes crazy again with the pumps off

Nothing illegal about sun corals.

As for feeding each day you can and it will help. I have a colony and it was growingDOH! But have fallen off the up keep wagon of feeding every three days. Best thing to do is either feed your tank normaly how you would and the food shuld bring the polyps out. After that either turn the pumps off or if not possible get a 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut off and put it over the coral so you can just squirt the food in the top and let it feed that way. I just turn my pumps off and feed that way as my duncans are also fed that way and even squirt the acans wit hsome food if the feelers are out. Here is a pic of mine extended.

post-523-141867741708_thumb.jpg

They only come out when its feeding time. That is why I feed the fish first as once the food hits the tank they will open up. If you get on a feeding schedual they will open up at the same time all the time. Mine are always open in the evening and really open up when the lights go off. Sometimes the extension on the body is almost an inch away from the skeleton.

Same here they know when its time to eat, same time every night. they begin to open up a while before feeding time and really fill out for the rest of the night. The pic I took was when only the blues were on with a flash.

Thats a really nice coral Scott, how long and how big was it when you got it. I havent seen one grow in a ball like that most grow along a line or spaced out on the rock. Mine was really sparse, I havent even seen one like yours at a LFS!!!

I got the Sun Coral from Waves over a year ago. But that was when Paul worked there and he loved these corals and would feed them every day. Am not sure if Joel gets them in still. I actually fragged it and cut it in half but now it is back to almost its original size. And no longer in a ball it is about 4 inchs long and 3 inchs tall now. It looks like a ball when fully extended.I glued it to the vertical face of a rock as they are a low light coral. That is why they mostly come out at night. Will try and get a pick of it now as it is opened up fully now that the lights are off.

As for being in the same family as duncans not sure. They look kind of the same but do not think so. There are black sun corals though but they are more of a branching style and do not clump like the orange ones.