I seriously Need help in Beaverton area with DIY project 30g cube

CA2OR

The jbj viper 150hqi is a nice light. Glad you stepped up to get the metal halides. With the tank being only 17.5 inches deep, that should be plenty.

IMO: keep the frag tank separate for now. Build a strong sump filtration system below. Just use a ten gallon tank. Get an overflow, your skimmer, a fuge to fight your growing hair algae problem and watch and see how your corals do once you transfer a few from the 12 nano. Then, later(like 3 months or so) if you want more complexity, plumb in the nano as frag tank. Just remember more complexity means more can go wrong.

And welcome to pnwmas. You are taking the site by storm man. 162 posts in five days. That is a lot. Glad you are out there becoming involved so soon.

The sump fuge system is a basic of modern reefing. It works pretty darn well for many systems.

The teacher in Eugene, not waves related.

Thank you Tidalsculpin for the welcome. I appreciate all the info. If you look under DIY for the thread "30g project" you can see the tank I am going to. There is a section built on the back for the refugium. Please review whatever posts are there and add any input you have