I seriously Need help in Beaverton area with DIY project 30g cube

CA2OR

I am in Beaverton area and am embark on a new project with a 30g cube tank. I picked up this tank to move to from a 12g nano becuase my anemone keeps splitting and stinging my corals. Long story short....er. I need to build a stand with a hole in bottom for the plumbing to refugium below. I would like stand to support the 30g on top and encase the 12g nano fug I am gonna use. In addition I need to add to the lighting that I have with the canopy. It currently has 48w PC 50\50's and I think I would like to add another 48w of T5's (2white and 2actinic). Is there any issues with using both T5's and PC's? Will 96w be enough lighting to support both hard (Birdsnest, Acro, Monti's) and soft (Zoa's, Xenia, etc) corals? I know next to nothing about this stuff and could really use some help from someone who may be close and would like to join in. Additional support from online will be greatly appreciated and will be kept in mind when it comes to fraging time for my Zoa's, Duncan's, and other corals. So either respond here or email me at stinknut@comcast.net. I would like to do most of the communication here to allow others to follow along or find resources for their own projects. Thank you in advance.

Eric

Sent you email.

On your lights, I would suggest going to 150w MH's and using the T5's for supplementing actinic. You can choose either SE or DE and make a reflector like this. I would think that you would only need one but I don't know the dimensions of the tank. IMO 96w would not be enough for a 30gal, unless you use a lot of them.

Your 30gal is it glass or acrylic? Acrylic would be eaiser to work on but any mods on glass can be done as well.

later

I placed a call home to get my wife to measure the tank dimensions. I will need this to workup the stand as well. I have a tentative plan to run a 3 tank system here. The 30 as main display, below that would be a 5g for the skimmer, below that would be my 12g nano for additional filtration\refugium\frag or quarentine tank. Do you think that would work? The reason I asked where you live was to see if maybe I could get you to come by sometime and take a look at what I have and what I plan on trying to do here. I can also post images of progress and materials to assist others in helping me

ATO? What's that?

Today I just picked up 130w PC lights with 1 dual bulb 10k and 1 dual bulb actinic. With these and the current 48w 50/50's do you think I have enough lighting?

I currently have:

2xTrue Perc clownfish

1xManderin Dragonette Goby

1xFire fish

1xSerpant Starfish

1xEmerald Green Starfish

1xSea Hare

1xCleanerShrimp

1xGreen Bubble Tip anemone

1xDuncan with 7 heads

1xHammer Coral with 4 heads

3xPulsing Xenia (pink)

1xBurgandy Xenia approximately 20 stocks

1xSmall Birdsnest Frag

Purple mushrooms

Lemonade Zoa's

Zombie eye Zoa's

Watermellon Zoa's

Fish eye Zoa's

Eagle eye Zoa's

couple other zoa's

snails and hermit crabs

ATO = automatic top off

how have you been filling fresh water? Do you have some kind of system, or do you just pour in fresh water every now and then? With the system, it detects that your water level is low, so it adds in water. This way, your parameters are always inline and there's no huge swings in salinity.

I recommend you get one.

To be honest I haven't been doing anything. i was just doing my water changes and that was it. Recently I started to add RO water on occasion when I found my salinity was too high. And when I say recently....I just bought my hydrometer like last month. Had this tank for almost 3 years

I placed a call home to get my wife to measure the tank dimensions. I will need this to workup the stand as well. I have a tentative plan to run a 3 tank system here. The 30 as main display' date=' below that would be a 5g for the skimmer, below that would be my 12g nano for additional filtration\refugium\frag or quarentine tank. Do you think that would work? The reason I asked where you live was to see if maybe I could get you to come by sometime and take a look at what I have and what I plan on trying to do here. I can also post images of progress and materials to assist others in helping me[/quote']

The stand would have to be kind of tall and wide to get the bottom 2 tanks in. Most guy's just run one sump, the biggest one they can in the stand. What kind of skimmer where you gonna to use?

Another way would be to cascade the water from the main tank to the 5g then to the 12g, but then there are chances of flooding.

Heres a sketch of my stand that I'll be building, I'll just resize it to your main tank and go from there.

Now, the ? is how high do you want the top of the tank to stand/sit? Don't forget the hood for the lights as well, if you will have one.

Not sure what time we will be home on Thursday, maybe this weekend? What's the schedule like for you? PM your phone #

Charles

post-77-141867741695_thumb.jpg