Ozone - What is it? Is it worth it?

oxx155

I posted this at ReefCentral, but thought I would ask here also

I currently have

450 Gallon Reef (Acrylic) w/ 180g Refugium, 180g Sump, 75g other tank, all connected in the system.

ASM G-6 Skimmer modified with recirculating Sedra 9000's (3 with screen mod) and a ReeFlo Orca 250 Pro modified with 10" neck and larger cup.

114 Watt UV Sterilizer (2 57 watt AquaUV)

2 Chamber Geo Calcium Reactor

I run about 10 pounds of Carbon in flow through chambers

I have about 700 pounds of live rock and 800 pounds of live sand between all the tanks

I am trying to do as much filtration as I can and provide the cleanest conditions I can for my reef (pretty well stocked, borderline heavy). The only thing I can think I am missing is Ozone, but I don't know anything about it and was wondering if its worth it (I have read it can be very dangerous).

What are your thoughts? - With my system as it is would it help? Do the benefits out weigh the dangers? How do I set it up and properly use it?

Or are there other forms of filtration I am missing?

Thanks

Thanks for any help/advice

I would Start here, which is what I did and then do some more research, I believe there are some more articles at RC in the chemistry forum

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marphysf.htm

You will need to check that your skimmer is safe for ozone use (manf. website)

I would not go cheap also you will want to be able to monitor the orp if you have a controller you're set if not look into ozonizers with the orp monitor built in Red Sea has one, its the one I have

As always if you want the really long version start here

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605

scroll down to the articles on ozone

I ran ozone on my last tank (125gal) for a couple years. It worked out really well. I had the Red Sea Deluxe edition w/ ORP monitor. ORP in my opinion is kind of a joke. If I had it to do all over again, I would buy an ozonizer and inject ozone into the skimmer for a set amout of time per day. The ORP monitors in my experience are not really necessary. I would just make sure to have the out flow from the skimmer flow over/thru some activated carbon and also have some carbon on the air outlet of the skimmer. Works like a charm. You won't believe the clarity of the water. It's amazing.

Dennis