MadReefer's Tanks

MadReefer

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lot of news.

First off I have a new bulb in my 29 gallon. It is a 10,000K so it looks a bit different.

newlights002.jpg

I added a new lighting system to my 20 gallon. It is a cheap ebay MH that most would say is worthless, but I find it to be worth it so far. It is a 250watt with moon lights.

newlights047.jpg

Mainly I felt that my clams needed more light.

newlights025.jpg

I moved my duncan.

newlights053.jpg

Maybe someone can tell me what to look for as an early sign of coral bleaching as I break in the new light.

My 60 gallon is still doing great. My yellow eyed kole tang has fattened up some. Although it seems afraid of me and I don't know why. I bring the food.

newlights031.jpg

For the 40 gallon, I have been adding skimmate to give it excess nutrients for a quicker cycle. The mangroves that are attached seemed to have liked this a lot and have gone a darker green. I did have some hair algae growing but then with a few snails added it is gone. There is still not much in it.

newlights050.jpg

Simply, the mangroves are a nutrient export, like a algae filter. But they don't function the same. Chaeto takes out nutrients faster and easier than mangroves. That is why most say mangroves are just for the look. But my look is getto most would say; I'm fine with that.

I find that mangroves like dirtier water than most give them, and they want more light than most want to give them, so most people don't have any luck with mangroves,, but I really like them. They surely take out nutrients. I just put all my skimmate for over a week from my sixty into my forty and the mangrove are most likely the thing taking that out of the water. But sure, they have help from the chaeto in the fuge.

You could cover the bucket with wood. That is, if you are afraid of the ghetto look. This is my fish room, so few see it. But at my old place it was in my front room, I don't give a s***. It helps keep my fish and corals happy.

My whole setup wreaks of cheapness in this world of expensive toys,, but I love all the life I am able to keep alive and happy.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with that. Shoot I respect what you are doing. Showing people that this isn't something that has to cost thousands. I like it. Wanna trade me some of those Zoa's in your avatar? I mean, wanna share some advice on how to hook up a mangrove planter, and where do I get a mangrove?

Hey' date=' there is nothing wrong with that. Shoot I respect what you are doing. Showing people that this isn't something that has to cost thousands. I like it. Wanna trade me some of those Zoa's in your avatar? I mean, wanna share some advice on how to hook up a mangrove planter, and where do I get a mangrove?[/quote']

That is my favorite part of it all. I'd be happy to. Also, I might have everything I have for sale soon. Because of a job I might be moving 2000 miles away. So maybe you just want to take over my bucket. If not, I can help you do it.

I would love to get a few. I too don't know when I can get down your way. Maybe on a wed or thu. If you came here just a heads up and I have no problem paying a little more for delivery. I will meet you somewhere too. But if that is the case I would like to get a few more polyps, unless you had decent frag already. Just don't like frag of frag's.

Hey' date=' there is nothing wrong with that. Shoot I respect what you are doing. Showing people that this isn't something that has to cost thousands. I like it. [/quote']

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know if I have shown people that it doesn't have to cost thousands. I have tried to show that it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg and that there are ways to avoid monthly water changes. I don't think I have been successful. Not until I can run a system for a few years and more, and it looks like I wont get the chance with my current setup. The longest I've ran a system was a year. Only to break it down for moving. I do add trace elements and cal/alk stuff. It's more of an experiment at this point, not as much experience as I would like.